Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I think Tom means something like this:

Those that do not want an auto restart would have to clear the check mark.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks, Michael -- but I was thinking more of a post-install prompt. Your example is still prior to the process of running the MSI installer or whatever ends up being used. Here's the way a different program does it...
    Last edited by Tom; 09-Jun-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I was thinking more of a post-install prompt. Your example is still prior to the process of running the MSI installer or whatever ends up being used. Here's the way a different program does it...
    Thanks Tom.

Your example is from an interactive installation of an MSI package. When updating BC3 from the "New version available..." link, a quiet (non-interactive) installation is performed. Therefore, the option to launch the app must be passed as a runtime parameter (hence the need to specify the option prior to installation).

If you want the full interactive GUI during the BC3 installation, download the installation package and run it manually instead of having the automated update process do it. You will then have the post-installation option you are looking for:

BC v4.0.7 build 19761

The checkbox in my sample dialog could just as well have been:

[ ] Perform interactive installation

If you check it, then BC3 does an interactive install instead of a silent one...and you get the post-installation prompt at the end. Would that work for you (if the Scooter team implements it)?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    The checkbox in my sample dialog could just as well have been:

[ ] Perform interactive installation
    Absolutely. That's exactly what I'm asking for if it's doable and low-impact on the development process. However, the term interactive might be confusing to some since that could also imply that you'd be selecting whether or not to install the shell extension and so on.

The "full" installation is probably best done as a separate action, whereas the final prompt seems to maintain the concept of updating the existing install. (Still, if "full" is more likely to be implemented than "final prompt only" I'd be amenable to that.)
    Last edited by Tom; 09-Jun-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks for the interesting ideas going back and forth. I've appened some of the notes into our tracker entry on the Updater.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I don't think "Full" any clearer than "Interactive". Of course, it could just be reversed:

[x] Perform silent installation

And have the user uncheck it to get the user agreement, upgrade screen, and final prompt to restart.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    I don't think "Full" any clearer than "Interactive".
    Possibly not -- I know about the concept of interactive installs vs. silent from corporate deployments and the like, but I think non-techies would be hard pressed to see where setting the upgrade dialog for desired behavior doesn't qualify as "interactive". Maybe there's a less jargon-laden way to describe it, that's all I'm saying. Either way it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks for the interesting ideas going back and forth. I've appened some of the notes into our tracker entry on the Updater.
    Thanks much, Aaron!