Data Viewer File Descriptions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Viewer File Descriptions

Forgive me if this has been addressed already.

I work with a lot of fixed length files with fields that range in size, but are not variable and the fields are not delimited. When I try to use the data viewer it appears to me that all of my fields "columns" must be the same size for the data viewer to interpret the data correctly.
    Is there a way to specify different column sizes within a fixed file which is not delimited? Is this going to be supported in the future?
    I think a good example of this is how MS Excel imports text files and allows you to define the field breaks by dropping/dragging lines. Or even better the spec files you can create in MS Access by defining the complete layout of a file by position.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Data Viewer File Descriptions

Fields can be different sizes in the Data Viewer. When you open the files in the Data Viewer, select the "Fixed Column Fields" tab. Enter the value for the longest line, such as 10 characters, and the number of fields. In the Preview window, drag the vertical bars to size the length of the fields.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Re: Data Viewer File Descriptions

Thanks Chris, your suggestion worked. Because of the size of the line length, the vertical bars were not showing up in the preview window until I scrolled all the way to the right.

Comment

Working...