Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re-align Section

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stevenson
    May 6th, 2007 at 2:27 pm
    I really want to be able to highlight a section on the left… say align manually… and then highlight a similar section on the right.. and have it re-evaluate that whole section with those new suggestions.
    This is a long time wish from earlier versions of BC. Sometimes I have need to compare two blocks of code that would not naturally align on their own. It would be nice to be able manually align entire blocks of code instead of just single lines. If the undo stack is a concern, just treat the manual block align as a group of manual aligns against consecutive line pairs. If one block is longer than the other, pad the shorter block with nulls/empty lines.

This is on our to-do list.
    Tim T Scooter Software

I have two similar files, but there's a big section in one that isn't in the other and they don't align by themselves.

How about aligning by searching the other side for the selected line?

I'd right click on the line I know is on the other side and choose "find and align on opposite side" where it searches for a line that contains the trimmed text from this side (ignoring indent).

Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried changing your alignment settings?

With the files open in the Text Viewer, select Session|Session Settings. Go to the Alignment tab and slide the skew tolerance to "Slow and thorough". This will make BC look further in the file for matching lines to align.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Hi Chris.

It works now that you got my my VFP rule again.

Default Following up ... Align With [Block]

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    This is on our to-do list.
    Hi Tim,

Just following up on this. I ran into a situation today that this feature would address nicely. I see it's been on your to-do list for a bit now. Can you say when the feature will be released?

Thanks,

Already implemented...

Select a block of lines on one side
    Pess F7 (or choose Align With... from the context menu)
    Select a block of lines on the other side

When you complete the selection on the second side, BC will align both selections with each other.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Sweet! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    Already implemented...

Select a block of lines on one side
    Pess F7 (or choose Align With... from the context menu)
    Select a block of lines on the other side

When you complete the selection on the second side, BC will align both selections with each other.
    Hi,

I can see that the Align With command works nicely with blocks of text - but only when performing a comparison. I have tried to do the same in a 3-way merge and for some reason this does not work - it still only aligns one line. This is frustrating, more often than not I need this feature in a merge rather than in a comparison. Is this by design? Or is this something that is yet to be implemented?

Hello,

The Text Merge session unfortunately does not support the same Align With features that the Text Compare session type has. Adding this functionality is on our wishlist, but is a larger project and would not be a quick change.
    Aaron P Scooter Software