X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • puru
    New User
    • Jul 2007

Disable Explorer Context Menu in Folder View

I almost always use the right click menu in folder view to do all file operations. On not so fast connections like vpn, the cursor stalls as it passes over the explorer menu item. This can be anywhere from 5 sec to 20 sec, after which the cursor resumes moving. The delay is usually small on a fast connection but still perceptible, usually 1-2 sec.

Is it possible to disable the explorer menu item in the folder view? or some other solution which will alleviate the problem.

Thanks
    puru
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Disable Explorer Context Menu in Folder View

The Explorer menu item was moved to the bottom of the menu in the 2.5 beta.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• puru
      New User
      • Jul 2007

OK i'll give it a try, but depending on where the file is on the screen, the context menu opens above or below the cursor. If the menu opens above, the last item on the menu is the first item the cursor will go over. So it doesnt completely solve the problem.
      Thanks

Comment

I have the same problem with the Explorer menu - very slow opening on my laptop. Moving the menu item to the bottom really doesn't solve the problem, since clicking on a file in the bottom half of the screen will open the menu above the cursor, so you still cross over the Explorer menu item to get to the Compare item.

I second the vote to have an option to remove the Explorer item from the popup menu.

Thanks.

Comment

• Lutz
          Veteran
          • Oct 2007

I also have a delay opening the explorer menu but:

I have no problem with the explorer menu, because I move the cursor to the compare item from OUTSIDE the popup menu which stays open.

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

> Is it possible to disable the explorer menu item in the folder view?

Any chance of an answer, Scooters?

Both BC-ed machines I use have started suffering Explorer problems since roughly the BC install, and a disable option would help me pin-down the culprit. Whilst I hope it is not BC, I'll confess to general distrust of the BC Explorer interface, not just due to that spooky lockup, but other oddities, e.g. upon installation of a viewer plug-in, it fails to appear in the menu... until after BC has been launched by some other means. Not your usual SS ship-shape.

Reinstalling without shell integration is not a preferred option. Esp. since install makes no launch icon for the Data Viewer. Or the mp3viewer. Scooters, what's the spell to create one?

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Chris,

You're asking for something different than Lutz is. He wants the the "Explorer" submenu in BC's directory viewer disabled. I'll discuss that with the other guys and I'm sure it'll get in as at least a tweak.

To turn off the shell extension like you want, just go into the Options dialog, switch to the General tab, and uncheck "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu". The list of plugins the shell extension uses to create the "Compare In..." submenu is populated every time BC is run. The plugin installers don't do it, so what you're seeing there is working as designed.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Lutz
                Veteran
                • Oct 2007

I tried ShellExView (see also Scooter Software - Shell Extension knowledgebase page) to examine explorer context menu items. Disabling 'Offline Files Menu' speeds up opening the context menu from 8 seconds to 1 second.

Comment

• chrisjj
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Apr 2008

> uncheck "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu".

Thanks. Please confirm this disables all BC code in Explorer, rather than just hides the commands.

Now all I need is the command to launch dataviewer, hexviewer etc. direct. Can you tell me what it is? Not e.g. "BC2.exe /dataviewer", I find.

> The plugin installers don't do it, so what you're seeing there is working as designed.

The fast the plugin installers don't do it menas only it is working as working. I suggest it would be better for the installers to complete the job.

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Chris,

Turning off the shell extension in Tools|Options will prevent Explorer from loading the shell extension DLL.

To launch a specific viewer from the command line, use the /fileviewer or /fv command line option.

bc2 /fileviewer="Hex Viewer"

bc2 /fv="Data Viewer"
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                      Carpal Tunnel
                      • Apr 2008

Thanks... and belatedly I see I missed this in the Help - sorry.

Comment

• dickdunbar
                        Expert
                        • Dec 2007

I have lost the Windows Shell Extension on Windows 10.
                        Scooter Software - Shell Extension knowledgebase page did not help to restore it.

1. There is no box to check in the latest installer: 4.2.6.23150
                        2. Tools/Options/Startup .. select Explorer Context menu and press Apply.

My other explorer context menus are working fine.

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

You'll need to email into [email protected] with a link to this forum thread to get a manual registry patch.

When running the setup.exe, if an install is detected it will ask to Upgrade, and not present the full range of options a Fresh install has.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dgarratt
                            Journeyman
                            • Sep 2013

I have just installed on Windows 2016 server and the Explorer Context Menu does not contain any references to BC ?

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

If the disabling test from earlier in this forum thread did not work, then you will also need to email into [email protected] for the registry patch. Please include a link back to this forum thread and a brief explanation of the issue in the email.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...