• Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Matching Diff in Left and Right Pane

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
    October 12th, 2007 at 7:55 am
    Since the fundamental purpase of a 3-way merge is to rectify differences between two versions of the same file that both derive from a common ancestor, it could be argued that there is no difference when the left and right side match (the two files being merged are in agreement) even though there is a common difference between those two files and the common ancestor. I’ve suggested functionality that would make merge sessions more flexible by providing the user with the ability to ignore difference sections when the left-hand side and the right-hand side are the same.
    I've never had a response from the Scooter team on this one. Please add a Miscellaneous option to a Text Merge session as follows:

[ ] Matching differences in left and right pane are always unimportant
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

We'll add this to our wish list.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• withoutclass
      New User
      • Jan 2010

Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien
      October 12th, 2007 at 7:55 am
      Since the fundamental purpase of a 3-way merge is to rectify differences between two versions of the same file that both derive from a common ancestor, it could be argued that there is no difference when the left and right side match (the two files being merged are in agreement) even though there is a common difference between those two files and the common ancestor. I’ve suggested functionality that would make merge sessions more flexible by providing the user with the ability to ignore difference sections when the left-hand side and the right-hand side are the same.
      I've never had a response from the Scooter team on this one. Please add a Miscellaneous option to a Text Merge session as follows:

I don't see any feature like this still in the software. I'm finding that most of the time I don't care about the ancestor at all, but I prefer the 3-way merge window. An option to simply ignore the ancestor would be fantastic and save me lots of time at work each day.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

You can use a "Text Merge" to just merge 2 files. If you don't load an ancestor file, BC will hide the center pane.

If you have an ancestor file already loaded in the Text Merge, just select the path edit for the center pane, delete the path text and hit enter. BC will then hide the center/ancestor pane.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• withoutclass
          New User
          • Jan 2010

Deleting the path works when it comes to the compare, but after I close the file Visual Studio says the merge was canceled as an unfortunate side effect.

edit2: switched to the 2 way merge and this is working well. Thank you.
          Last edited by withoutclass; 29-Jan-2010, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• BamaBob
            Visitor
            • Feb 2010

Please explain how to do the 2-way-merge you mentioned:

"edit2: switched to the 2 way merge and this is working well."

I can't find anything in the help about a 2-way-merge, and when I delete the path for the center pane like Chris suggested, I also get the Visual Studio message about the merge being cancelled.

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hi BamaBob,

Follow the instructions for "2-way merge" under the Microsoft Team Foundation Server heading on our version control page: http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_vcs

In the two way merge, the merge will open in the text compare. If you save the left or right pane it will be used as the output for the merge.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• BamaBob
                Visitor
                • Feb 2010

Chris,

I think the "2-way merge" workaround is not as flexible and nice as being in "3-way merge" mode with the ability to treat matching differences in the left and right panes as unimportant.

I strongly vote for implementing Michael Bulgrein's original request for a setting like this:

Since Michael's request has been in your queue since late 2007, do you have any thoughts about actually implementing it?

Bob

Comment

• Zoë
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

We're looking into making Michael's suggestion the new default behavior, with an option to ignore the changes entirely. For v4 we're considering making the second behavior the default.
                  Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• BamaBob
                    Visitor
                    • Feb 2010

I know that many software developers (myself included) cringe when someone asks when a feature will be available. But, I'll ask anyway. Do you have any feel for when Michael's change will be available in BC 3?

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Hello,

We don't have a set schedule for it yet, but it is something we are still investigating.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                        Carpal Tunnel
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Craig
                        We're looking into making Michael's suggestion the new default behavior, with an option to ignore the changes entirely...
                        I am testing this in BC 3.2 beta and like how it has been implemented. Thank you.
                        Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 20-Sep-2010, 10:01 PM.
                        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• stritch000
                          New User
                          • Oct 2010

Very nice

I'm so glad to see this has been added. It's marvellous. It will save me much time and effort. Thank you.

Comment

Working...