External viewer questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

External viewer questions

Hi, guys!

I'm trying to set up a rule for an external conversion where the conversion program doesn't know output other than stdout. I've wrapped the .exe in a .bat file; is that the best way to handle this?

Also, is there documentation on how to fill in the WS and Classify tags?

Thanks.

/dps
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: External viewer questions

Wrapping it in a batch file and using > to direct output to a file is probably the best way to handle a conversion program that only outputs to stdout. I think we actually use this method for some of the conversion rules we have for download on our Additional File Viewer Rules page.

Also, is there documentation on how to fill in the WS and Classify tags?
    Can you clarify what you're asking here? I'm not sure what tags you're talking about.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Quote:

>> Also, is there documentation on how to fill in the WS
      >> and Classify tags?
      >
      > Can you clarify what you're asking here? I'm not sure
      > what tags you're talking about.

Some of the available rules end with tags/sections like those quoted below:

== quote ==
      <str_val name="WS" value="-LTE" />
      <list name="Classify">
      <wstr_val name="+Delim" value=""%00"%00" />
      </list>
      == /quote ==

I'm guessing these tags have to do with importance of text (as in "ignore unimportant differences", and so with marking comments) or with whitespace description.

But I'm not sure I got it right, and even if my guess is good, I'm not quite sure how to fill in the fields.

Thanks for your help.

/dps

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Rather than try to write the rules .xml file directly, it should be much easier to configure the rule from BC's Rules dialog.

You can either select Tools|Edit Current Rules in the File Viewer, or go to the Rules section of the Tools|Options dialog to edit or create new rules.

Once you have your rules configured, use the Tools|Export Settings command to export the rules as XML if you want to share the rules with other users.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Also, if you haven't found it, there is a knowledgebase article with additional information about external conversion at: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...conversion.php
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Okay, that works for me (I had followed other otpion paths before, so missed that one).

For the record, the "WS" tag seems to go with whitespace settings, and "Classify" with how to identify unimportant text (I like being able to choose "columns" even though I don't do Fortran any more)

Thanks again!

/dps

Comment

Oh, and I did pick up on the KB article. It helped me get started, but your post above got me the rest of the way.

10x!

/dps

Comment

Working...