Forum on IE8 (beta)

http://screencast.com/t/PRfoy56I
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • chrroe
    Pooh-Bah
    • Oct 2007

Hi Michael!

IMHO you should report this to Microsoft and not to Scooter- or Vbulletin-Crew.
    In current versions of FF and Opera the forum is displayed quite well (Although some errors are detected by www.validome.org). In addition, I think that The Scooter-team has absolutely no resources left to tune the Forum. Progress in the Cirrus development is more important to me .

Never mind, I don't want to start a favourite-browser war, but a delay of the release due to "peanuts" would drive me mad .

Bye
    Christoph

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Thanks Christoph,

Frankly, I'm not really concerned about the IE8 glitches...but, from what I know of Tim Thousand, at the very least he will want to know what users could run into once BC3 enters the public beta... As a devout user that has dedicated a significant amount of time and effort into beta testing this great product, I also care about anything that may tarnish the public image that Scooter Software has...and it is my obligation to make such things known. I am also confident that Tim has the sense to prioritize things appropriately so as not to needlessly delay the release of BC3.

That being said, problems with IE8 include:
      Clicking Reply to a post actually quotes the post in the editor. In the editor, cursor position tracking is flakey. Down arrow does not always work. Pressing the right arrow at the end of a line does not always wrap to the next line. Text cursor does not always move to the exact spot of a user mouse-click.

Do I expect Tim to fix these glitches? No. But, whether a fix down the road is delivered via bug fixes to IE8, or a patch to the vBulletin software, Tim will be aware of the issues.

For other beta Testers who, like me, may be beta testing IE8 to know how it will affect their customers using the .NET Web applications they support: Running IE8 in IE7 emulation mode will allow the BC3 forum to be viewed correctly, although it may cause some problems (missing vertical scroll bars, for one) on some other web sites.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tim
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks, guys. We certainly don't need extra work these days! It turns out, though, that vBulletin has an easy fix.

Michael, can you see if it behaves better now?
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Hi Tim, If you published a change, I don't see any difference. I emptied my temporary Internet files and cookies just to be sure. I'll post here if the problems go away down the road. Thanks
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

I take that back. Looks great! (unless you have an active User Agent String registry override in place that lies to the web site and claims to be IE6) I was testing the UAS override on another site, and forgot to remove it for my retest of the BC3 forum.
            Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 11-Mar-2008, 10:18 AM.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tim
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Good to hear!
              Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Working...