X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Column Compare

I believe that the ability to perform a column-based compare and/or merge is on the BC wish list...
    In the mean time, what would the best way to eliminate the column of date-time stamps from the following text compare?

http://mysite.verizon.net/bulgrien/j...umnCompare.png
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

You can define a File Format for your log files, and add a grammar item that classifies the first 21 columns as a Timestamp. Then your session rules can set Timestamps as unimportant.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Sounds simple enough...so forgive my ignorance...

I created the File Format and the "Timestamp" Grammar Rule:
      http://mysite.verizon.net/bulgrien/j...FileFormat.png

But the "Timestamp" Grammer Rule does not show up in my Session Settings Importance list:
      http://mysite.verizon.net/bulgrien/j...onSettings.png

Edit: I had to close and relaunch Cirrus for the grammar rule to show up. I wouldn't think this should be necessary.
      Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 10-Mar-2008, 02:43 PM.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tim
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Yes, it should show up immediately. We'll try to get that fixed.
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Erik
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Actually, I'd guess the reason you're not seeing "Timestamp" in the "Importance" list is because you're not using your "COM+ Log Files" format.

Elements are only shown in the "Importance" list that are defined in the format(s) that are in use.

Cirrus will not automatically switch detected formats in an open session. Choose "Reload Files" from the "Session" menu to do so.
          Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Erik
            Actually, I'd guess the reason you're not seeing "Timestamp" in the "Importance" list is because you're not using your "COM+ Log Files".
            Actually, I was using my new file format. I double and triple checked it. As I specified above, the new grammer rule did not show up in the list until I restarted Cirrus.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

As further clarification, I had selected the new file type, but I had not performed a manual reload of the files. In my opinion, a "reload files" should not be necessary to see a new grammar rule in session settings. When a new grammar rule is created, it should be applied (via a programmatic reload) just as is done when one selects a different file type from the "Rules" drop-down list.
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Erik
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

You mean format type, not file type right?

Please list the specific steps you are taking.
                Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Oct 2007

Erik, I see why you're confused. I can't reproduce the issue either. I'm not sure what I did the first time...I do know that I did the steps in a round about way (created a new file format, then renamed it, etc) but when I delete the file format and create it again from scratch, everything works as expected. Weird. Anyway, since everything works fine when I perform the steps in a logical order, you can disregard this reported issue. If I ever figure out how I did it the first time, I'll be sure to post the steps.
                  BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...