[Bug] Memory leak detected

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Clark

[Bug] Memory leak detected

I have a bug that is quite reproducible in build 439, that is probably something to do with threads/timing.

I have a single-core CPU (Pentium4), with another process running to consume 100% CPU, I open Cirrus to view changes in a file (via Code Co-op), then press ESC to close Cirrus. Most of the time, I get a warning message box saying:

"This application has leaked memory. The small block leaks are (excluding expected leaks registered by pointer):

21-28 bytes: TAutoCompleteURLFilter x 1"

Then on OKing this, I get another message box:

"FastMM has detected a FreeMem call after FastMM was uninstalled"

Then, after OKing this, I get:

"Runtime error 204 at 004049E5".
  • James Clark
    Journeyman
    • Oct 2007

I just worked out how to include an attachment of a screen shot of the bug report.

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hi James,

Thanks for the bug report. Please try reproducing this with the Full Debug build of Cirrus. If it leaks with the debug build, it will log detailed information to "c:\program files\Cirrus\Cirrus_MemoryManager_EventLog.txt". Please email us with the log file and I will pass it on to our developers.

Thanks,
      Chris
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

James,

I'm already aware of the TAutoCompleteURLFilter leak, so you don't need to send any more information in. It can trigger an access violation too, but aside from being annoying it won't hurt anything. It occurs very late in shutdown, so it won't affect your data.

I'll try to get it fixed soon.

Craig P Scooter Software
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• James Clark
          Journeyman
          • Oct 2007

Craig,

Thanks for the update.

Comment

• Tom
            Expert
            • Oct 2007

Just posting this one in hopes it'll be of some small use. I can't reproduce it, but since it's so detailed it's a shame to waste it.

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Tom,

Thanks. We'll have that fixed in the next release.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
                Expert
                • Oct 2007

I'm occasionally seeing such memory leak messages on shutdown as well. Two questions before I try the full debug build:
                1. Can I install the full debug build "next to" the normal debug build (i.e., in a separate directory) so I can use either?
                2. If not, will installing the full debug build over the normal debug build retain all my settings or should I save those first?

Comment

• Zoë
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

The current build has a leak that occurs whenever a folder is either created by Cirrus or created externally and found during a "Refresh". There's another leak that can occur sporadically related to the various path edit's autocomplete functionality. Both of them are already fixed for the next release, and both are common enough that you should just ignore leak messages until after the next release comes out.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, you can install to two different directories and it should work fine.

2) If your settings files are in the standard location (%AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3) every version you have installed will pull them from the same place. You joined the beta when we were still storing the settings in the install directory, so you'll need to move them if you haven't already.
                  Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...