Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Creation date of files and folders

I would like to second the need for preserving the creation date of files (especially folders, if technically possible).

Thank you! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ludoscooter View Post
    I would like to second the need for preserving the creation date of files (especially folders, if technically possible).

Thank you! :-)
    It should have the CREATED and MODIFIED dates of FILES & FOLDERS maintained, especially when copying across DISKs. That is the time the CREATED date gets RESET to the DATE/TIME of the COPYING.
    Last edited by crashnburn; 16-Jul-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donander View Post
    I just did a copy using BC and saw that the folder dates were change to today so did a search to get here. BUT, when I look at the files within the folders, they retain the last modified dates, which is good, BUT I virtually always use BC with "show differences" turned on, with the intention of the display being blank, or going blank as files are copied. I know that if the display is blank, the left and right sides are equal. Sometimes I am copying left to right and other times I want to sync in both directions. Regardless, as the action progresses, folders disappear from the display until it is blank. I have seen this happen in the past but today the folders all still show up because the date of the folders in the destination is today's date. So...is it possible to tell BC to ignore FOLDER creation dates when comparing but still use the dates of files WITHIN those folders to determine whether to show a folder when "show only differences" is turned on?
    The only fool proof way that I have been doing FOLDER/FILE Full Tree Duplication is:

COPY Across DRIVES using TeraCopy Pro 2.12 - It maintains the File Created/ Modified Dates etc. Most Folders are maintained.

There is a bug where some Folders get RESET to CURRENT.. CREATED date/time.

To "rectify" this little Glitch, I use Microsoft's unofficial RichCopy (Better GUI of ROBOCOPY) with COPYING of DATE/TIME STAMP Checkmark enabled, But not copying the files again, but just "Folder Tree". Somehow this lets the files be and copies the FOLDER TREE Date/Times (Created & Modified) as they are to the DESTINATION TREE.

Hello,

Preserving the created date is not something that Beyond Compare 3 currently supports. Adding support for additional date preservation is still on our Customer Wishlist.

BC3 currently supports preserving the Last Modified date and setting the modified date using the Touch command. It should be similar behavior to Windows Explorer.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default 6 years later, any progress?

It's been 6 years since this was first suggested and landed on your customer wishlist. Is it implemented yet? Sure would be a useful option.

Sorry, the current version 3.3.5 still does not support preservation of file creation dates.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Anything I can do to help make this feature a reality? e.g. I'd be happy to provide some sample code showing how to update the Date Created attribute.

Hello,

You can certainly email us at support@scootersoftware.com (with a link back to this forum thread for our reference) with any details you might think would help. Our developers are currently scheduled with other projects, but I can add your notes to our Customer Wishlist, which is where we go to look for ideas for new features and enhancements.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thanks Aaron, sounds good. What language is the bulk of Beyond Compare written in? (C#, Java, C++, etc).

-Richard

BC3 is developed in Delphi.
    Aaron P Scooter Software