Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Another vote here for preserving the creation date when copying files.

Is there any reason for not always automatically preserving it, other than that XP doesn't? If some users do need it to behave like XP sometimes then perhaps BC could have an "Identical/Windows Copy Mode" button.

Are there any other properties/attributes of a file that get lost when it is copied? BC3 preserves extended attributes, does it also preserve other alternate data steams for example?

BC3 is very powerful in the way that it not only allows a user to compare and sync files but also their properties, such as modification date various attributes. Are there any plans to extend it's functionality to handle creation dates as well as modification dates?

I realise that implementing full support for creation dates would be quite a big task, and probably have to wait until version 4 if not later. However just syncing the creation date after copying a file shouldn't be too difficult to implement, any chance of including it in a future release of BC3?

Thanks for the suggestion about creation date preservation and Touch. This is on our Customer Wishlist, and I've added your comments to the entry.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

As it was mantioned two years ago I'm just gonna ask are any plans to preserve creation date of files during copying?
    Thanx
    Last edited by Chris224; 03-May-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Hello Chris,

This is still on our Customer Wishlist, but is not available in the current version of BC3.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default I need Last Modified Date retained when copying files...

Is this functionality in the latest version? I also need this functionality when I'm copying files over from my HDD to an external drive for backup purposes. I want the original dates retained, not the copied date. I can handle the last modified date instead of the Created date, but not the copy date. That simply doesn't work for backups trying to restore exact copies. It makes one's head spin to try and figure out if they are restoring the right files.

Thanks! You guys rock and the product is the best out there! Keep it up!
    -Eric

Hello,

Last Modified Date should normally be preserved when copying files. Some destination devices have trouble with this and assign the current time of transfer instead. Are you able to Touch the files after the fact/copy? If you try the copy in My Computer/Windows Explorer, do you see the same loss-of-last modified timestamp behavior?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I am wondering why this SIMPLE feature for maintaining all DATE attributes, which has been requested since 2006, has still not been implemented.

After all its one simple attribute that needs to be duplicated when the files are copied/synched from one side to another.

Crashnburn,

It's due to limited resources. We have a pretty small development team and many feature requests and bug reports to deal with. Preserving all file dates is still on our feature request list, but the feature doesn't have a release date.
    Chris K Scooter Software

I just did a copy using BC and saw that the folder dates were change to today so did a search to get here. BUT, when I look at the files within the folders, they retain the last modified dates, which is good, BUT I virtually always use BC with "show differences" turned on, with the intention of the display being blank, or going blank as files are copied. I know that if the display is blank, the left and right sides are equal. Sometimes I am copying left to right and other times I want to sync in both directions. Regardless, as the action progresses, folders disappear from the display until it is blank. I have seen this happen in the past but today the folders all still show up because the date of the folders in the destination is today's date. So...is it possible to tell BC to ignore FOLDER creation dates when comparing but still use the dates of files WITHIN those folders to determine whether to show a folder when "show only differences" is turned on?

Hello,

The Folder dates displayed in BC3 are not used to determine the 'newer' or 'older' status of Folders; the coloring is determined from the files within. We also don't preserve Folder timestamps, only files.

We have 4 different main View modes. What is your current view mode in the View menu? Is it Compare Only Files or Compare Files and Folder Structure? If is is Always Show Folders, that would explain why the folders are sticking around.
    Aaron P Scooter Software