X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Last Modified Date should normally be preserved when copying files. Some destination devices have trouble with this and assign the current time of transfer instead. Are you able to Touch the files after the fact/copy? If you try the copy in My Computer/Windows Explorer, do you see the same loss-of-last modified timestamp behavior?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• crashnburn
      Enthusiast
      • Oct 2011

I am wondering why this SIMPLE feature for maintaining all DATE attributes, which has been requested since 2006, has still not been implemented.

After all its one simple attribute that needs to be duplicated when the files are copied/synched from one side to another.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Crashnburn,

It's due to limited resources. We have a pretty small development team and many feature requests and bug reports to deal with. Preserving all file dates is still on our feature request list, but the feature doesn't have a release date.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• donander
          New User
          • Oct 2011

I just did a copy using BC and saw that the folder dates were change to today so did a search to get here. BUT, when I look at the files within the folders, they retain the last modified dates, which is good, BUT I virtually always use BC with "show differences" turned on, with the intention of the display being blank, or going blank as files are copied. I know that if the display is blank, the left and right sides are equal. Sometimes I am copying left to right and other times I want to sync in both directions. Regardless, as the action progresses, folders disappear from the display until it is blank. I have seen this happen in the past but today the folders all still show up because the date of the folders in the destination is today's date. So...is it possible to tell BC to ignore FOLDER creation dates when comparing but still use the dates of files WITHIN those folders to determine whether to show a folder when "show only differences" is turned on?

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Folder dates displayed in BC3 are not used to determine the 'newer' or 'older' status of Folders; the coloring is determined from the files within. We also don't preserve Folder timestamps, only files.

We have 4 different main View modes. What is your current view mode in the View menu? Is it Compare Only Files or Compare Files and Folder Structure? If is is Always Show Folders, that would explain why the folders are sticking around.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ludoscooter
              New User
              • Jan 2012

Creation date of files and folders

I would like to second the need for preserving the creation date of files (especially folders, if technically possible).

Thank you! :-)

Comment

• crashnburn
                Enthusiast
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ludoscooter
                I would like to second the need for preserving the creation date of files (especially folders, if technically possible).

Thank you! :-)
                It should have the CREATED and MODIFIED dates of FILES & FOLDERS maintained, especially when copying across DISKs. That is the time the CREATED date gets RESET to the DATE/TIME of the COPYING.
                Last edited by crashnburn; 16-Jul-2012, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• crashnburn
                  Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by donander
                  I just did a copy using BC and saw that the folder dates were change to today so did a search to get here. BUT, when I look at the files within the folders, they retain the last modified dates, which is good, BUT I virtually always use BC with "show differences" turned on, with the intention of the display being blank, or going blank as files are copied. I know that if the display is blank, the left and right sides are equal. Sometimes I am copying left to right and other times I want to sync in both directions. Regardless, as the action progresses, folders disappear from the display until it is blank. I have seen this happen in the past but today the folders all still show up because the date of the folders in the destination is today's date. So...is it possible to tell BC to ignore FOLDER creation dates when comparing but still use the dates of files WITHIN those folders to determine whether to show a folder when "show only differences" is turned on?
                  The only fool proof way that I have been doing FOLDER/FILE Full Tree Duplication is:

COPY Across DRIVES using TeraCopy Pro 2.12 - It maintains the File Created/ Modified Dates etc. Most Folders are maintained.

There is a bug where some Folders get RESET to CURRENT.. CREATED date/time.

To "rectify" this little Glitch, I use Microsoft's unofficial RichCopy (Better GUI of ROBOCOPY) with COPYING of DATE/TIME STAMP Checkmark enabled, But not copying the files again, but just "Folder Tree". Somehow this lets the files be and copies the FOLDER TREE Date/Times (Created & Modified) as they are to the DESTINATION TREE.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Preserving the created date is not something that Beyond Compare 3 currently supports. Adding support for additional date preservation is still on our Customer Wishlist.

BC3 currently supports preserving the Last Modified date and setting the modified date using the Touch command. It should be similar behavior to Windows Explorer.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rkagerer
                      Visitor
                      • Nov 2012

6 years later, any progress?

It's been 6 years since this was first suggested and landed on your customer wishlist. Is it implemented yet? Sure would be a useful option.

Comment

• Chris
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Sorry, the current version 3.3.5 still does not support preservation of file creation dates.
                        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• rkagerer
                          Visitor
                          • Nov 2012

Anything I can do to help make this feature a reality? e.g. I'd be happy to provide some sample code showing how to update the Date Created attribute.

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can certainly email us at [email protected] (with a link back to this forum thread for our reference) with any details you might think would help. Our developers are currently scheduled with other projects, but I can add your notes to our Customer Wishlist, which is where we go to look for ideas for new features and enhancements.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rkagerer
                              Visitor
                              • Nov 2012

Thanks Aaron, sounds good. What language is the bulk of Beyond Compare written in? (C#, Java, C++, etc).

-Richard

Comment

• Aaron
                                Team Scooter
                                • Oct 2007

BC3 is developed in Delphi.
                                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...