Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default can I keep date when file copies to new location

When I use BC to migrate files from one location to another the file modification date is the date time when moved rather than the date time the file had in the original location. Is there any way to keep the date from being overridden wehn I move teh files via BC?

Default Re: can I keep date when file copies to new locat

If you copy files to a local disk or network drive using BC, it should automatically preserve the modified timestamp. The created and accessed timestamps are not preserved.

You can manually copy timestamps between files using the Actions|Touch command.

If you're transferring to an FTP server, many FTP servers don't support the command necessary to preserve timestamps. To work around this, copy new timestamps back to the local files after uploading them to an FTP site. To have BC do this automatically, select Session|Comparison Control. Go to the Advanced tab. Check "Touch local files when copying to an FTP site".
    Chris K Scooter Software

Can't this be added as an option? I usually use xxcopy to copy files with the created date (I use it for backup), but I would like to switch to BC2 instead, but unfortunately BC2 lacks this option.
    The reason I want it is because I want to be able to restore my backup, having the file dates preserved. I.e. see when a file was originally created, not when it was created during a backup/synch session. I also want to be able to synch files between laptop/workstation preserving the original dates (so I can tell when a file was originally created, e.g. yesterday or 2 years ago).

Thanks.
    /GreenMoose

Thanks for the suggestion. Preserving file creation dates is on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Thanks for the suggestion. Preserving file creation dates is on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.
    Hope this feature is a top item in the "to do" list for version 3. Love your program and look forward to seeing v3!

Chris,

any news regarding this functionality (preserving file creation date)?

Preserving creation date probably won't be in Beyond Compare 3.0, but we are keeping it on our list of features we would like to add at some point.
    Chris K Scooter Software

I'm a licensed user of Beyond Compare 2, and I want to second the need for preserving the creation date of files (and maybe folders as well, if technically possible).

(I don't mean to rant, but frankly, as I am a programmer myself, I think it ought to be a pretty small effort!?)

Hello,

I need the same functionality too... and join my voice to everyone above + jofafrazze regarding the programming effort needed.

Thanks,

The Windows XP operating system stamps a file or folder with the last date and time that you accessed it.
    To disable this feature, open a command prompt, enter the following command then reboot:

FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1

Alternately, you can disable this functionality directly in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\FileSystem]
    "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

To re-enable last accessed timestamps, repeat the same command but replace 1 with 0;

FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 0
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯