Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hello,

Sorry, implementing a duplicate scan is not something we were able to add to the v4 release.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

UnReal, My 1st Hr with BC on the screen, and this is the first thing tried with external firewire drive,
    looking for possible dupe files, and after 3 files exposed, getting look & feel of it, we ended it there.

I'm pretty thorough using several Finder windows sorting files / folders in iCon view to explore any
    lost out of place files by hitting space bar to fully view a file w/o actually opening it.

Then shove it off if necessary to upgraded folder.
    Strange this simple process is not listed up front.

So putting up the same folder side by side won't show this - dupe files w/i?

Hello,

Loading any two locations will align by folder structure and file name. Loading the same folder on the left and right will show all identical items as they line up by folder structure and file name. This wouldn't find duplicates as you expect.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

Sorry, implementing a duplicate scan is not something we were able to add to the v4 release.
    Bad luck.

This feature has been requested for many times in the past. Was crossing my fingers hoping it would be added in v4.
    We need to keep on using other software to take care of this, regretfully so.
    (refer thread: Find duplicate files with different names)

Keep up the good work!
    =

I use the existing features of beyond compare 4 to get rid of duplicate files from multiple backup copies of folders -- technically this is not find and remove duplicate files feature. But this is what I use, sharing as it might be of use to someone who has a similar requirement.

1. Select 2 folders from explorer to compare and start BC4
    2. Click on 'Same' and 'Select' and then right click and select 'Compare Contents'
    3. Select 'Files' and right click and click on 'Delete...'
    4. In the Selection section, deselect the side which you want to retain and hit 'Delete' button. You may choose to use recycle bin if possible for some added safety.

Hello,

Thanks for the tips. A couple of notes:
    - You can use the Shift+Arrow keys to slide the selection before right clicking, to select only one side before initiating the Delete command.
    - BC4 does not support an Undo command, so be extra careful before committing a Delete.
    - "Use the recycle bin" will attempt to send items to the bin, but there are scenarios where Windows does not allow this, such as deleting from a network source. There are cases where even when the option is selected, items will not end up in the Recycle Bin (similar to a delete in Windows Explorer, too). In addition to not supporting Undo, this is extra important to review the selection before committing the Delete command.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Aaron,
    Count my fervent vote for real duplicate identification.

I used to use some freeware for finding and eliminating duplicate files, but, given all the security issues these days, I no longer feel so sanguine about downloading software. Even many formerly "trusted" sources no longer seem safe (think: CCLeaner).

I mean, I COULD write an Excel macro, maybe using some CRC command line tools, but it would take a week to run.

But eh .. how to mark these as duplicates?
    the files are identical, only the ones on the left have a different names.

see atachment

thanks
    -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beyond Compare can't align files based on criteria other than name (size, CRC). It's on our feature request list but doesn't have a scheduled release date.

The best you can do is manually align the names. Right click on a file on the left and select Align With, then left click on a file on the right side.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Thanks. Bad luck. In case of doing this for a number of files requires quite a lot of clicking and is not really an option, i.e one need to resort to a duplicate file finder of some sort.

Hopefully, one day, it will be included in Beyond Compare.

-