• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the tips. A couple of notes:
    - You can use the Shift+Arrow keys to slide the selection before right clicking, to select only one side before initiating the Delete command.
    - BC4 does not support an Undo command, so be extra careful before committing a Delete.
    - "Use the recycle bin" will attempt to send items to the bin, but there are scenarios where Windows does not allow this, such as deleting from a network source. There are cases where even when the option is selected, items will not end up in the Recycle Bin (similar to a delete in Windows Explorer, too). In addition to not supporting Undo, this is extra important to review the selection before committing the Delete command.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jfkelley
      Enthusiast
      • Apr 2013

Aaron,
      Count my fervent vote for real duplicate identification.

I used to use some freeware for finding and eliminating duplicate files, but, given all the security issues these days, I no longer feel so sanguine about downloading software. Even many formerly "trusted" sources no longer seem safe (think: CCLeaner).

I mean, I COULD write an Excel macro, maybe using some CRC command line tools, but it would take a week to run.

Comment

• bcdewul
        Old Hand
        • Sep 2010

But eh .. how to mark these as duplicates?
        the files are identical, only the ones on the left have a different names.

see atachment

thanks
        -
        Attached Files

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare can't align files based on criteria other than name (size, CRC). It's on our feature request list but doesn't have a scheduled release date.

The best you can do is manually align the names. Right click on a file on the left and select Align With, then left click on a file on the right side.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
            Old Hand
            • Sep 2010

Thanks. Bad luck. In case of doing this for a number of files requires quite a lot of clicking and is not really an option, i.e one need to resort to a duplicate file finder of some sort.

Hopefully, one day, it will be included in Beyond Compare.

-

Comment

• headfirst0600
              New User
              • Mar 2024

I just started using BC last week. I see this thread was created 18 years ago. Was this feature added to BC? I would like to scan an external drive and find any duplicates.

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Sorry, Beyond Compare 4.4.7 (current version) and Beyond Compare 5 beta do not support searching for duplicate files.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...