X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Other Platforms

It's a native linux executable built on top of Qt3. Wine isn't required.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Qt works on OSX

I'm on my monthly quest to find a useable hex diff tool and figured I'd stop by and drop another request for OSX. BC2 is my benchmark for usable text/hex comparisons.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. We are considering an OS X port. At the moment our development team has their hands full working on BC3 for Windows. Once BC3 for Windows is released, we'll take another look at the possibility of an OS X port.

For now, some of our users have reported good luck using CrossOver Mac to run BC. See the discussion thread at:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/ubbth...er=6704&page=0
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• LiquidL
          New User
          • Dec 2006

Our current plan is that Linux and Windows pricing will be the same, although separate licenses will be needed to run on both platforms. We'll likely have a bundle price for getting both together.

Here's our tentative pricing for a single user:

BC3 Standard = $30
          BC3 Standard Win32+Linux = $50
          BC3 Pro = $50
          BC3 Pro Win32+Linux = $70

Comments anyone?
          Pricing seems very reasonable.

Comment

Hint Hint patiently at a OSX universal version.. just my $0.02 Great software use it all the time!

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. Once BC3 for Windows is released we'll consider the possibility of an OS X version of Beyond Compare.

If you have an Intel Mac, a number of our users have reported good luck using CrossOver Mac to run BC.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• PhilAlanThompson
                New User
                • Feb 2007

Will you also be compiling a Vista x64 version (if necessary)?

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

It will probably be like BC2. With Beyond Compare 2, we released a 64 bit shell extension that works on Windows XP x64 and Windows 2003 x64. The main Beyond Compare 2 program is still 32 bit, but it works well through the Windows x64 32 bit compatibility support.

Beyond Compare is written in Delphi, and Delphi doesn't currently support 64 bit programs. When Delphi adds 64 bit support, then we'll consider making a 64 bit release.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

A Mac version would be extra sweet. Especially considering that I switched to a Mac a few months ago and was coming here specifically to request a Mac port. :-) I have an Intel Mac and am running Windows in a Parallels VM almost exclusively for Beyond Control.

Comment

Yes I would love to see a Mac version too, as I'm in the process of switching.

Comment

Another dime for a native mac version. There are a lot of competitors for windows - for shure, BC is the best. But there is not a single product for the mac roughly as useful as BC.
                        http://osx.iusethis.com/tag/diff

Comment

• peterl
                          Visitor
                          • Oct 2006

I'd also gladly pay for an OS X version...I looked at the beta of Araxis merge for OS X, and it's good, but I like BC better.

Comment

Another vote for a native OS X version of BC. I purchased CrossOver Mac just to run BC on the Mac, and have also tried using using BC on a Windows machine to access a Mac with SMB file sharing. The big problem in both cases is with filenames that BC cannot handle (names that are not legal under Windows, usually due to special characters). While it will happily list such files, it will not do a binary comparison of them. It will claim to do a CRC comparison of them, but cannot open them (so I suspect the checksum comparison is actually failing, but the error is not getting trapped).

Comment

• ncr100
                              Enthusiast
                              • Jan 2004

Same goes for me, BC3 on Mac woo hoo!

Beyond Compare is rad. I tried running it in emulation on various platforms (Mac/Linux). The BC code can't be that stanky to be able to be ported. Porting is fun. I do it all the time. Port port port.

Seriously, BC is a sexy application and the Mac dev environment is kinda sorta sexy. I am guessing Scooter Software could get revenue from the Mac community; shareware is very popular. I don't know the porting cost though; u might have to sell 500,000,000 copies to recoup...but plz consider it?

MOST Customers are telling you there's no comparable solution out there, inviting you.

Whine Whine,
                              Nick Richards

Comment

• Chris
                                Team Scooter
                                • Oct 2007

Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion. We are keeping a Mac port in consideration.

The big issue with porting to the Mac is that Beyond Compare is written in Delphi. Delphi isn't available for OS X, so it would be quite a project. We'll revisit the possibility of a port once version 3 for Windows is released.
                                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...