X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Other Platforms

We have been making decent progress on a Linux version of BC3, with a general strategy of releasing it at the same time as the Windows version. With any luck, we will be starting early beta tests on the Linux version in a month or so.

We also get a lot of requests for a native Mac version of Beyond Compare. While we'd love to offer it, an OS/X port would be difficult based on our current development environment and limited resources. After we get version 3 released and settled down, we'll take another look at the feasibility of a Mac version.
    Tim T Scooter Software
  • blackpuma
    Enthusiast
    • Aug 2006

Re: Other Platforms

I have only one thing to say:

WWWWOOOOO HHHHOOOOO!!!!!

I'm still doing manual diffs on my Linux workstation. (I run Win32 within VMware virtual machines.)

Comment

Would a Windows version purchase also allow you to run a Linux version? Or would that be counted as 2 different items?

Wonderful program!!

Comment

• Tim
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Our current plan is that Linux and Windows pricing will be the same, although separate licenses will be needed to run on both platforms. We'll likely have a bundle price for getting both together.

Here's our tentative pricing for a single user:

BC3 Standard = $30
        BC3 Standard Win32+Linux = $50
        BC3 Pro = $50
        BC3 Pro Win32+Linux = $70

Comments anyone?
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• dlprice
          Visitor
          • Dec 2007

The prices seem very fair to me (especially considering the price of the competition). Any thought of an 'upgrade' price for existing users? Would there be a discount?

Comment

• Dave_L
            Veteran
            • Dec 2007

Comments anyone?
            It's great that you're coming out with a native Linux version.

But I'm disappointed that I'll need to purchase two licenses.

A nice feature of the BC license is that with a single license, I can use BC on more than one computer (although I only use one computer at any given time). Since I dual-boot Windows and Linux, then I'll need two BC licenses to run BC on both the Windows and Linux partitions on the same computer.

Comment

• Tim
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

I'm still working on the upgrade policy, but there will be a discount for BC2 license holders. I'll post more details in this forum soon.
              Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Tim
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for your feedback, Dave. Our pricing policy for BC3 is still tentative, so it's a good time to get everyone's opinion.

Anyone else?
                Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• blackpuma
                  Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2006

A nice feature of the BC license is that with a single license, I can use BC on more than one computer (although I only use one computer at any given time).
                  This is what I liked about Borland's "like a book" license policy, i.e. install on as many machines as you like, if, like a book, you only use one at a time.

I'll still need two licenses, as I'm frequently using my Linux workstation and Win32 within a VMware virtual machine (at the same time, switching back and forth). If there were an OS X version of BC, then I'd gladly fork out for another license. It's not like the $800 we recently forked out for one software package, plus the other $400 for the other.

Thanks, guys, for making BC so affordable!

Comment

The freedom that BC Licences allow are very generous, and I would imagine generate sales itself.

I like the fact, that the licence is tied to ME, not my machine, so I can install BC where I need it, and as long as it's only me that uses, a single licence suffices.

This is very handy, as I use BC at work (my company bought a large number of licences), but it means I can use my licence at home for my own stuff. The licencing flexability is the icing on an already great cake, and the reason I recommend BC to so many people. Please don't lock it down..

Comment

• jkmccarthy
                      Visitor
                      • Sep 2006

The prices Tim mentions seem very fair to me. I also have a machine that dual-boots Win32 and Linux, but that's not the only Linux (or Win32) machine that I use, so for a quality product like Beyond Compare, I'm certainly willing to pay extra for the Linux license. This doesn't mean I won't appreciate the upgrade discount for registered BC2 users Hope I can have the pleasure of beta-testing the Linux version soon !

Comment

Did I miss something with the licencing here?

My company purchased a site-wide license. I bought a single license for use at home as I use it all the time at work (especially within Merant Dimensions - thanks to Michael Jelich for his plugin). Are you saying that I could have used the company license at home? I am not TOO worried since I bought it when it was half-price from DonationCoder!

Some time ago I remember reading something about if within one year of buying v2 a v3 came out purchasers would be entitled to a free upgrade. Is that still going to be true? If so would it be to BC3 Standard?

Cheers
                        Darren

Comment

• Tim
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Our license agreement lets you use BC on any number of computers, at work or at home. A company may let their licensed employees use BC at home if they like, but we feel it's up to the company to set that policy. The company is responsible for safekeeping the license key and may want to keep it inhouse.

I hope to finalize our BC3 upgrade policy soon, and post it in this forum. At a minimum, someone who buys a $30 BC2 license within a year (more likely 18 months) of BC3's release will get $30 towards the BC3 license. In other words, a free upgrade to BC3 Standard.
                          Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• jknacnud
                            Visitor
                            • Dec 2004

Woohoo!! A linux version is awesome and just makes a Mac version that much closer.

Comment

Is it a true native linux version using GTK, QT?
                              Or 'Wine' is required? http://www.winehq.com/

Comment

Working...