BC3 "Editions"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BC3 \"Editions\"

So I guess we are not talking about a release in the near future (in Q1), but rather Q3 or Q4 when you are just saying in 2007
    I hope I am wrong 'cause I really need a descent 3-way merge tool (compared to the ClearCase one) and I really like BC.v2

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Sorry, the official release definitely won't be in Q1. We're still in private beta right now. When we get to a public beta, I imagine we'll test for at least a few months before we have an official release.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• tomtrias
        Visitor
        • Feb 2007

Maybe it's a little late in the game, but here's my $0.02 regarding a couple of desired features (beyond the aforementioned merge / 3-way compare):

* The ability to save a single file comparison as a session

It may seem silly, but there are single files that I check frequently for modification, and it would be handy if I could just select those comparisons from the session manager.

* An analogue to "Align Manually" for folder comparisons

I know I can choose "Compare To...", but it doesn't just align the folders, it changes the top-level comparison; I'd like to be able to move around the folder comparison without resetting the top-level comparison.

Thanks

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Version 3 will allow you to save a comparison session of a single pair of files instead of just folder comparison sessions like in BC2.

Align manually for folders isn't in our current development build, but I'll add it to our feature request list.

Thanks for the suggestions.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• esalkin
            New User
            • Mar 2007

Some of the tweaks are really useful. Manually editing the Reg is a pain and inherently risky. How about an "Advanced" section under options?

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

We use tweaks for features that only apply to a very small number of users or for features that we are testing. If a tweak turns out to be stable and usable by a wide audience of our users, then it eventually makes it into a configuration dialog.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• ontracanoer
                Visitor
                • Mar 2007

I realize this is probably late in the development cycle, but I have a couple of requests for v3 (maybe they are already there):

1) We use BC for code reviews. What seems to be missing is a way for reviewers to add comments about the code, w/o having to modify the code. Perhaps something like a discussion can be implemented within BC such that users can add comments to lines/chars/selections that are maintained in a seperate file and even on a dedicated server or share. Providing a way to quickly see with files have been commented on would also be useful.

2) I would be nice if the file differences report had an option that allowed you to show white space. For example, I would like to see for unimportant differences that a tab character was replaced with space characters, etc.

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1) I'm not sure if commenting will make it in or not at this point, but I will pass on the suggestion to our development team.

2) Reporting hasn't been completed for BC3 yet, so showing whitespace in reports might be a possibility. I'll pass this request on to the developers.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

As long as the two files have the same name, you can save the file comparison as a session. Just enter the specific name under the "By Name" tab. You'll still have to click on the file in the directory-comparison listing, but that's only one click, and only that one file is shown in the directory compare.

Or, you can skip the session altogether, and simply run BC right from your editor. I've made such menu entries as "Compare to Server", "Compare to Checkout", etc., and the editor generates a BC command that contains the proper filenames. The BC file-compare window (not the directory compare)pops up, and it's cool. I can even edit the file in either the BC window or my editor.

Comment

• BretSutton
                      Journeyman
                      • Jan 2006

I didn't mean to be anonymous on that last post...

Comment

I have just recently come up with a need that BC could serve. Perhaps just a simple additional filter but I need to weed out filenames longer than 80 and paths longer than 250 or 255 (selectable please). The reasons are more than obvious why this is so necessary these days.

I have another need as well although I'm not sure how well this could be integrated but I've bought TheUndelete just to handle the occaisional boo-boo that our wonderful MS OS no longer gives us tools to deal with. It would be great if we could see those ?Files. in a directory and revive them, however much is left of them. Perhaps just another filter?

Comment

• Chris
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. It isn't possible to display deleted files using the current version of BC.

It might be possible to do some filename length filtering using the current version, but it isn't easy.

As an example, here's a filter to only display filenames that are 4 characters before the extension or less:

?.*;??.*;???.*;????.*

The character ? matches any single character. Available filename filter wildcards are listed in the File Filters > Filtering by Name section of BC's help file.

We'll consider display of deleted files and simple filtering based on filename length for a future version of Beyond Compare.
                          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Rockeiro
                            New User
                            • Mar 2007

I'll look forward to the possibility of seeing that in future versions then.

Thanks!

Comment

BC3 adds quite a few new capabilities, and new features take time to develop and test.

We're in private beta testing right now, with a plan to release sometime this year. I'm not sure of our exact development timetable, but it might be a few months yet before we release a public beta.
                              Hi,

If it takes that long before we see BC 3, can you please meanwhile recompile the current version so that it supports unicode file and folder names? I'm quite happy with functionality present in BC 2. But the lack of unicode support is a big issue.

Comment

• Chris
                                Team Scooter
                                • Oct 2007

Sorry, we probably won't add Unicode filename support to BC2. From what I understand it wouldn't be a trivial project.

For the most recent information about when version 3 might be available, see the recent post by our company president, Tim.

http://www.scootersoftware.com/ubbth...al&Number=8053
                                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...