BC3 "Editions"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BC3 \"Editions\"

I guess the real question is when do you expect to have BC3 available? From reading the history, it looks like I should expect to see Betas sometime very soon. Please?

Jason

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

BC3 adds quite a few new capabilities, and new features take time to develop and test.

We're in private beta testing right now, with a plan to release sometime this year. I'm not sure of our exact development timetable, but it might be a few months yet before we release a public beta.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• alexloe
        New User
        • Jan 2007

@ Chris

Could you take a look to post #7580 ? Would be great if this feature would be in BC3.

Comment

• PhilAlanThompson
          New User
          • Feb 2007

If I purchase BC2 now will I be entitled to a free upgrade when BC3 comes out?

Comment

• Tim
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Yes. You'll qualify for a free upgrade to BC3 Standard, or you can get BC3 Pro for the difference in price ($20). This assumes we'll release BC3 within 18 months of your purchase, but that should be a safe bet.
            Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• arie
              New User
              • Feb 2007

The running log at the bottom of the screen is helpful, but it would be even better if the app wrote a detailed log to the hard drive.

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

In Beyond Compare 2, you can save the log file by right clicking on the log pane and selecting "Save to File".

You can also have the log written to a file all the time by selecting View|Log|Write To... from the menu.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Couple of small requests,

This one might sound silly, but often I want to compare my entire disk, to itself, as a binary compare. This tests my hard drive for basic readability and can find files which have problems. Right now, if both sides are the same, the compare is not done. Seems like a simple solution. I'd want the binary to actually read each file twice and verify that it got the same results each time. Even better would be an option to bypass the file cache so it was a true double read.

When doing a full refresh, or starting a full compare, I often can't figure out where it is. How about a current directory in the status bar.

For those that want sftp, I have found that webdrive along with BC is a great combination. Webdrive is a bit pricey, but lets me mount a network (virtual) drive which is actually supported by sftp. I used to use the bitvise tunnelier, but webdrive is much easer to use.

Then along with filebox extender, I use BC on my linux directorys, and filebox extender can remember my favorite directories, often 8 directories down in a linux tree.

Waiting for the 3 way merge. I've used kdiff3 but it gets a bit confusing when doing the actual merge. And it doesn't have the nice BC options of diff, diff w/context, etc.

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

There isn't a way to do a binary compare of a disk to itself in the current version.

Instead, save a snapshot of a drive with saved CRC values. Use the Actions|Save Snapshot command.

Once you've saved a snapshot, set BC to use CRC as the comparison criteria and compare the snapshot to the drive. This should give you a reliable indicator of any content differences on the drive.

When doing a full refresh, or starting a full compare, I often can't figure out where it is. How about a current directory in the status bar.
                    Is there a problem with the path displayed in the left and right base folder path edits? If you click on a subfolder, it will display the path in the left and right path edits. Are your paths too long to fit in the path edits?
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Re: BC3 \"Editions\" - GENERATiNG Scripts ???

Xavier, Thanks for the suggestions.
                      Notes for each session, and <font color="red">generating scripts</font> from sessions
                      are both on our wish list for the future.
                      How far away ist your future from the present?
                      in WHiCH version you'll implement this long awaiting and really, really essential feature?

Comment

• Chris
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Recording scripts is on our feature request list. At this point we haven't added it to our development calendar, so I can't say when it might be available in Beyond Compare.

Although we'd like to add wish list features right away, we have limited resources. We only have 5 full time employees. Right now our developers have their hands full with getting version 3 ready for release, with the main new features 3-way comparison and in-line editing. Once version 3.0 is released, we'll evaluate our list of feature requests for later 3.x releases.
                        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Recording scripts is on our feature request list. At this point we haven't added it to our development calendar, so I can't say when it might be available in Beyond Compare.

Although we'd like to add wish list features right away, we have limited resources. We only have 5 full time employees. Right now our developers have their hands full with getting version X ready for release...
                          THAT's exactly the same answer/promise you has given more then a year before ;--(((

Comment

• Chris
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Sorry, but this is the reality of limited resources. We receive far more feature suggestions than we have time to implement, and because of this it can take a while for a request to make it into Beyond Compare.

If you need help writing a Beyond Compare script, please post in our Scripting forum, or send an email to [email protected] and I'll provide some suggestions.
                            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

The features of the Pro-Edition seem very interesting. Is there already a rough estimation of the release date for version 3?

Thanks,
                              Michael

Comment

• Chris
                                Team Scooter
                                • Oct 2007

We're hoping to release sometime in 2007, but we haven't set a more specific release date yet.
                                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...