Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BC3 "Editions"

Default Re: BC3 \"Editions\"

Can I hope that in the 3 release I can find the really useful 'grep' function ?
    I continue to have the necessity to display in the BC window ONLY the files containing a specific string.

Cla
    P.S. I'm a registered user.

I would really like to get a grep filter in 3.0, but since we're running behind on development it was taken off the immediate "must get done" list. So, it might not make it in until 3.1.
    Tim T Scooter Software

As a long term user of BC2 a few things i think would be really great in version 3 (apart from the 3way merge which im looking forward to) are:

- Multiline edit mode. When you do find you need to do some editing of a file while diffing etc, accomplishing it line by line can be painful. Putting BC into a multiline edit mode would allow you to edit etc as normal (essentially lie notepad), then when yo ugo out of multiline mode it can re-diff the files etc and go back to normal

- passs through filter based on extension. Sometimes when you use a SCC system it only has the ability to specify a SINGLE diff tool. It would be great to setup pass through so that certain files (based on extension) could be passed to another external diff tool which knows how to diff them. Having a BC2 filter or plugin isnt always possible, so it would be good to actually spawn a call to an external diff tool in some cases

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mult-line editing will be in Beyond Compare 3.

A pass through filter isn't in our current development version of BC3, but we'll consider adding it.

I think we will have Open With functionality similar to what is in BC2 in BC3.
    Chris K Scooter Software

<ul type="square">[*] Full-screen editor with syntax highlighting, dynamic re-comparison, and undo after save[/list]
    Careful with that one. We use a different product before we were introduced to BC that allowed full screen editing. We had several cases where a file was modified by inadvertently hitting a key. Because the file was also willingly modified elsewhere, the "Save?" dialog when closing the file was not enough to raise a flag that something when wrong. An explicit shortcut to enter full edit mode, or be able to disable this behavior altogether, would be nice.
    <ul type="square">[*]3-way merge[/list]
    Woohoo!!!
    <ul type="square">[*]Other miscellaneous advanced features[/list]
    Any chance of having patch support (file on left side, load a diff and show modified file on the right) for this version?

Keep up the good work. BC is amazing! We are a corporate user with 10+ licenses are are looking forward to upgrading to BC 3 Pro.

In BC3 it will be possible to switch between line mode (like BC2) and full editing mode.

I'm not sure if full patch support will make it into version 3.0, but it is something we would like to add at some point in the future.
    Chris K Scooter Software

What about adding a feature to keep the creation date when copying data within a windows enviroment. Right now the creation date is transferred with the copy. this is a feature of the robo copy command which I would like to see integrated into this software.

Thanks for the suggestion. Preservation of file creation dates is on our wish list, but I'm not sure when it will make it into a release of Beyond Compare.
    Chris K Scooter Software

How about copying NTFS/unix file ACLs? This is one of the things that keeps taking me back to ROBOCOPY when I'd MUCH rather be working with BC!

That should be an option. If copying from one computer to the other, user/group permissions may not be the same on both systems.