X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

BC3 "Editions"

At this point, we're planning on releasing separate "regular" and "pro" editions of BC3. This will allow us to keep the price down on a BC2 replacement, while offering advanced features for a bit more. I'll post our tentative pricing info later on.

Here's a rundown of the significant features we've planned for 3.0:

Regular Edition
    • Virtually all BC2 functions
    • Full-screen editor with syntax highlighting, dynamic re-comparison, and undo after save
    • Dedicated folder sync sessions
    • Flattened folder compare
    • Full Unicode user interface and filename support

Pro Edition
    • 3-way merge
    • Other miscellaneous advanced features

Please be aware that the above is subject to change!
    Last edited by Zoë; 06-Sep-2008, 07:57 PM.
    Tim T Scooter Software
  • BretSutton
    Journeyman
    • Jan 2006

Re: BC3 \"Editions\"

Your "virtually all" phrasing seems to imply that some functions will be moved from the standard version to the pro version...

I logged on to ask about 3-way merging. Guess I don't have to.

Comment

• Tim
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Your "virtually all" phrasing seems to imply that some functions will be moved from the standard version to the pro version...
      Mainly I was covering myself in case some BC2 feature was dropped, or changed enough to be unrecognizable.

It's our intention that you can accomplish the same tasks with BC3 Standard as you can with BC2, plus a lot more.

In addition to 3-way merge, a few other new features may end up in the Pro edition only.
      Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

My only complain about BC2 is FTP. I know that you don't make the FTP DLL, but you must consider doing it, because is the only thing that keep your product from being perfect.

You must know that BC2 became unstable using FTP (cancelling sessions, etc)

Eduardo
        Beyond Compare evangelist

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello Eduardo,

Thank you for the suggestion. We are working to improve Beyond Compare's FTP performance.

In our recent releases, we're using the SmartFTP library by default. If you had better luck with earlier releases, you can switch back to the old FTP library in the FTP>Advanced section of Beyond Compare's Tools|Options dialog.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• steven11
            New User
            • Sep 2006

Hi,
            I'm quite new to BC, but what is bugging me a bit is that it's comparison speed is a slower than WinMerge, which I used before. When I opened two files in WinMerge, it immediately showed me the differences. BC sometimes needs a bit more time. But atm I'm evaluating it and it looks good besides that ;-)

mfg Steven

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Steven,

Thanks for the comment. Beyond Compare does quite a bit more than WinMerge, so that might explain some of the difference.

However, we consider performance very important, and I know all the guys on our development team work pretty hard at squeezing performance out of BC.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• nperis
                Visitor
                • Dec 2003

Hi all,

We've been using BC for years and are big fans. I think most days I use it more than even Windows Explorer.

There are 2 suggestions I made a while ago which I'm now wondering whether they could be included in BC3:

1)In the Browse for base folder dialog, FTP Site tab, could we remember FTP adresses?

2)In the main window, could Language be added to the list of items that can be set to display like you can add Extension, Status, Version etc.

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

1)In the Browse for base folder dialog, FTP Site tab, could we remember FTP adresses?
                  I agree a quick list of FTP addresses will be useful, this is on our wish list.

2)In the main window, could Language be added to the list of items that can be set to display like you can add Extension, Status, Version etc.
                  I'll add this to our wish list for a future version of BC.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Tim
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

One BC2 feature that we plan to move to the Pro edition is source control integration (SCC). It's a better fit there, and a better place to expand the support.
                    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Can I hope that in the 3 release I can find the really useful 'grep' function ?
                      I continue to have the necessity to display in the BC window ONLY the files containing a specific string.

Cla
                      P.S. I'm a registered user.

Comment

• Tim
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

I would really like to get a grep filter in 3.0, but since we're running behind on development it was taken off the immediate "must get done" list. So, it might not make it in until 3.1.
                        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

As a long term user of BC2 a few things i think would be really great in version 3 (apart from the 3way merge which im looking forward to) are:

- Multiline edit mode. When you do find you need to do some editing of a file while diffing etc, accomplishing it line by line can be painful. Putting BC into a multiline edit mode would allow you to edit etc as normal (essentially lie notepad), then when yo ugo out of multiline mode it can re-diff the files etc and go back to normal

- passs through filter based on extension. Sometimes when you use a SCC system it only has the ability to specify a SINGLE diff tool. It would be great to setup pass through so that certain files (based on extension) could be passed to another external diff tool which knows how to diff them. Having a BC2 filter or plugin isnt always possible, so it would be good to actually spawn a call to an external diff tool in some cases

Comment

• Chris
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mult-line editing will be in Beyond Compare 3.

A pass through filter isn't in our current development version of BC3, but we'll consider adding it.

I think we will have Open With functionality similar to what is in BC2 in BC3.
                            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

<ul type="square">[*] Full-screen editor with syntax highlighting, dynamic re-comparison, and undo after save[/list]
                              Careful with that one. We use a different product before we were introduced to BC that allowed full screen editing. We had several cases where a file was modified by inadvertently hitting a key. Because the file was also willingly modified elsewhere, the "Save?" dialog when closing the file was not enough to raise a flag that something when wrong. An explicit shortcut to enter full edit mode, or be able to disable this behavior altogether, would be nice.
                              <ul type="square">[*]3-way merge[/list]
                              Woohoo!!!
                              <ul type="square">[*]Other miscellaneous advanced features[/list]
                              Any chance of having patch support (file on left side, load a diff and show modified file on the right) for this version?

Keep up the good work. BC is amazing! We are a corporate user with 10+ licenses are are looking forward to upgrading to BC 3 Pro.

Comment

Working...