Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ischyrus,

Have you updated your paths to the values showin in the version control knowledge base article? You you just swapped out "<Program Files>\Beyond Compare 2\BC2.exe" with "<Program Files>\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" you can run into trouble. Take a look at the article linked in the post just above yours.
    Zo P Scooter Software

My settings are exactly as described.

I even tried using both BComp.exe and BCompare.exe. I noticed when using the command "tf diff" it actually says that BCompare.exe returns a wierd exit code. I'm wondering if that has something to do with my issue.

For example: "The program C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe failed with exit code 13." I don'w know why it would do that over a diff.

*ping*

Has someone at SS verified this with TFS 08?

What would be causing and exit code 13 on a simple diff?

I've been using BC3 as my diff and merge engine for Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (both 2005 and 2008 editions) since April. The settings I use are described in this post. Using BCompare will certainly cause issues. Don't do it. Use BComp.exe instead.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Default Limited error level usage

This feature makes the product absolutely unusable. How can I disable this? The only time this error level should be anything but 0 is when I close the app with solving a conflict or not saving.

---

The following DOS Error Levels are set on exit:

0 Success
    1 Binary Match
    2 Rules-Based Match
    11 Binary Difference
    12 Similar
    13 Rules-Based Difference
    14 Conflicts Detected
    100 Unknown error
    101 Conflicts Detected. Merge output not written.

Beyond Compare also supports command lines from ClearCase automatically for interactive and silent comparisons and merges.

Default Frustrated

I can't seem to get BC2 to successfully merge changes to make the TFS dialog happy. I always get the "canceled" message even after saving changes. I am using the exact parameters from the version control FAQ linked earlier in this thread.

My problem ended up being that I had the personal version. If you want to do merges you have to purchase the Professional version.

I have a site license file given to me by my company, so I'm assuming it's a Pro version but I can't see any text in the program itself that says one way or another.

Hi Matthew,

There's only a single version of BC2; it doesn't have a pro version like BC3 does.

BC2 always returns an exit code of 0. Make sure that you use the "Save" command before you exit; BC2 doesn't force you to save changes like BC3 does. If you've done that I can't think of what else TFS would check that would make it consider the merge failed. You might make sure that "Allow multiple instances of program" is checked in the "Startup" options.
    Zo P Scooter Software

I too am having the same problem with BC3 with TFS 2005.

However, upon reading the posts it appears that perhaps the problem may be with the DOS Error Codes listed by ischyrus.

Since I (we) are performing a merge, the resulting merged file (right hand side) is almost certainly still different than what is on the server (left hand side) and therefore an exit code of 13 (Rules-Based Difference) would be the correct exit code.

It's appears that Visual Studio is thinking that is an error and saying that the operation was cancelled.

Perhaps I"m wrong, but it appears to be the likely suspect.

Can anyone at Scooter (or other) suggest a solution or workaround? The only idea that I have is to maybe add a switch that would supress the exit codes returned and always return 0.

Bob
    Last edited by bobrothster@gmail.com; 28-Oct-2008 at 11:52 AM.