Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

You can select two files in one pane and pick Quick Compare.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• SamD
      Visitor
      • Sep 2008

I tried it, it brings up the viewer, it's not as helpful and simple as before.

Comment

• Tim
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Actually, Quick Compare opens a small dialog with the comparison results and lets you optionally open the file view. Does it work differently for you?

Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• SamD
          Visitor
          • Sep 2008

Ah thanks. I didn’t notice that. You are right. I also noticed that I don’t even need to open Beyond Compare for that. I just select 2 files in my explorer and right click and choose Compare. That’s nice! I hope this didn't exist in BC2?!

Comment

• CatThief
            Visitor
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SamD
            Count me in also as being very disappointed that we don’t have the Compare Results window.
            Count me in as well. Gosh, BC3 has a lot of nice new features, but the lack of the Compare Results window is keeping me at BC2. This is extremely disappointing. I have been a Beyond Compare user since 1998! I'll be checking back from time to time to see if this is added back in. Hopefully my upgrade license upgrade won't permanently go to waste.

Comment

• CatThief
              Visitor
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tim
              Actually, Quick Compare opens a small dialog with the comparison results and lets you optionally open the file view. Does it work differently for you?

Quick Compare is not an available option when comparing compressed files, in this particular case the "jar" files I need to compare for Mozilla theme development. It used to be so simple tracking nightly build code changes by highlighting the classic.jar file in both left and right panes, double click, then the Compare Results window would pop up with a dialog I could instantly expand to see a list of the changed files (as well as any new or deleted files) within the jar. Double-click again, and the files would instantly open inside the text viewer. I sure do miss this capability. Please consider bringing it back.

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

CatThief,

If you only want to see the contents of the jar files, you can select them, then use the "Actions > Compare in new View" command to open them in a new tab or window.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• CatThief
                  Visitor
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Chris
                  CatThief,

If you only want to see the contents of the jar files, you can select them, then use the "Actions > Compare in new View" command to open them in a new tab or window.
                  Thank you, Chris, but I really do prefer the summary of results that appears inside BC2's Compare Results window.

Comment

• Sema4
                    Journeyman
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by CatThief
                    Thank you, Chris, but I really do prefer the summary of results that appears inside BC2's Compare Results window.
                    Snap, thats exactly how I feel about it too, but I have asked, begged, pleaded, argued my case, and gone in to great detail about my exact requirements, yet they still seem reluctant to bring it back for some reason...

I just can't understand why they think it's a bad thing to give people the "option" if they want to see the old results window, or not, they won't lose sales if people can choose to use to use the window they are used to, or choose not to, but to say 'no you can't have it'... :shrug:

Sure, BC3 has some sweet features, but the thing I use most is 'folder compare' and by removing the summary results window from this, it removes the ability to rapidly interpret the results without first having to take the time to sit down and write a bunch of fancy rules to filter out the data for you.

This may be fine if your requirements are such that the format of your files never change, and the time invested in writing rules will be worth it in the long run, (and of course assuming you are enough of a programmer to be able to write them in the first place), but for us humble audio engineers who have no more idea about writing rules than fly in the air, and who's file formats, types and extensions change with mind numbing regularity, the whole 'rule' thing is a tedious waste of time and resources.

I for one am reluctantly sticking with BC2, as much as I like some of the new features in BC3, the reality of it is, it takes me much longer to do the same thing, and that can never be a good thing, not to mention the whole "refusing to listen to customer feedback" thing.

Shame that, I had very high hopes for BC3 given the amount of thought that went in to it's predecessors, but for the non-programmers out there, I think they will probably find it more difficult to use than BC2, I know I do.

Comment

• Zoë
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

We released 3.0.8 earlier today and it has the results dialog back in.
                      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Sema4
                        Journeyman
                        • Aug 2008

Compare Results summary window IS BACK !

Originally posted by Craig
                        I take it all back, a big THANK YOU to you and the team for this small, but important to some, feature!

Comment

• upl8
                          Visitor
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Craig
                          Thanks Team Scooter! I almost didn't upgrade to v3 because of this, but I knew that you would listen to your customers. To prove that no good deed goes unpunished, I have reported a bug in the Comparison Results window https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbul...ead.php?t=4039

Comment

• SamD
                            Visitor
                            • Sep 2008

Thank you.

Comment

• chantoine
                              Visitor
                              • Oct 2008

Sorry, i just can't find this "result dialog" ? Do i have to configure anything ? Is-it a pop-up screeen ?

Thanks in advance !

Christophe

Comment

• markf_2748
                                Expert
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by chantoine
                                Sorry, i just can't find this "result dialog" ? Do i have to configure anything ? Is-it a pop-up screeen ?
                                Here's what works for me:

1) In Folder Compare, select some files and/or folders on left & right sides to be compared.
                                2) In RMB context menu, select "=? Compare contents..." . Alternatively, hit the "=?" icon on the toolbar.
                                3) In the Compare Contents popup that immediately appears, check Action box "Show results dialog".
                                4) Hit Start button. When the comparison is finished, you should automatically get a "Comparison Results" popup with the results.
                                Last edited by markf_2748; 15-Oct-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...