X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruccutler
    New User
    • Mar 2006

Shadow copy

I'm using Beyond Compare as a poor man's backup. Each day when I log in I compare my local files to the files on the network and synch both directions.

I would love to have the Shadow Copy capability so that if someone has a file open, I can still synch.

How hard is it to add this feature? Anyone else like to have this feature?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Shadow copy

Thank you for the suggestion. Support for Shadow Copy is on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Drool
      New User
      • Jun 2007

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I think I just discovered a way to make this work - of a sort - but you have to manually find a recent shadow copy...

Instead of using the pathname format of "\\myserver\usershare (11 May 2007, 12:00)" - which won't work - if you look at the properties of one of the files inside a particular shadow copy, it will show a UNC pathname format like "\\myserver\usershare\@GMT-2007.05.11-11.00.04". Copy and past that into Beyond Compare and it can access it.

Now, it would be excellent if a future version of BC could do this pathname conversion for you. And of course, if it could transparently look at the last shadow copy in case of locked files (I suppose three-way comparison could do something similar).

Just thought this info would be useful for some (didn't seem immediately obvious, if people already know this).

Comment

• o2plus2h
        New User
        • Jun 2008

I agree that shadow copying would be very useful. I have been looking into alternative applications that would allow me to do this, but so far no other program has the features and user-friendliness of Beyond Compare.

I tried using iRep which has some interesting features, but I wound up wiping out my external hard drive backup when I did a test sync (the defaults for iRep are set to delete files on the right). It's a decent program, just not very intuitive. Unfortunately, I lost a great deal of info as this was a backup of things I could not fit on my tiny laptop hard drive.

Beyond compare is definitely the only way to go in my opinion. And once shadow copying is under the hood, it will win every race hands down.

Note to beyond compare support: maybe you should check out the features of iRep and integrate something similar in the hopefully near future

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks for your suggestion. I've appended your notes to our wishlist entry. This is a feature we would like to implement, but have not been able to schedule the development yet.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Brad Foskett
            New User
            • Jul 2016

Work Around to BC in shadow copies:

Originally posted by bruccutler
            I'm using Beyond Compare as a poor man's backup. Each day when I log in I compare my local files to the files on the network and synch both directions.

I would love to have the Shadow Copy capability so that if someone has a file open, I can still synch.

How hard is it to add this feature? Anyone else like to have this feature?
            Really old thread, I know. But here is a work-around to your problem:
            https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/adi...pies-in-vista/

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the link and reference material.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...