FAQ Article

You can also search the FAQ (upper left) for "RSS" to find this article:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/cirru...l&titlesonly=0
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Pete
      Fanatic
      • Nov 2007

Unfortunately the RSS feed seems to be unreliable -- it only sends some of the forum posts. IMO this makes the feature useless because I still have to log in to check for new posts.

A recent example is the topic "User interface oddities"
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/cirru...hread.php?t=61
      where there are two posts but the RSS feed only contains one (which you can verify in Firefox by clicking on the orange icon on the right side of the Address Bar).

It would be nice if there was a solution for this (with a vBulletin "extension" or something).

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Pete,

The RSS feeds appear to only be on a thread-by-thread basis; it doesn't get updated when new comments are added to existing threads. The built-in support for email allows you to subscribe to get emails any time a thread you started or commented in has a new comment added, and you can manually subscribe to individual threads.

Other than being a moderator there isn't a built-in way to get an email every time a new comment is posted in a particular forum, but Chris is going to check if there's a way for us to easily add that as a new subscription option.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Subscriptions

With the currently available tools, you can:

Go to My Settings, Edit Options, Messaging and Notification section, and for Default Thread Subscription mode select Instant Email Notification.
          This is how any thread you respond or create is automatically added to your subscribed list, and you will receive email notifications automatically.

You can also also manually subscribe to any thread without responding in it by Viewing it, then selecting Thread Tools (upper right area of the top Message Body) and say Subscribe to this thread. When this option is selecting, you will then be presented with the option to receive Instant Email Notification.

Under My Settings, Subscriptions, you can manually select subscriptions and change their email notification policies from the Drop down menu in the lower right.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Pete
            Fanatic
            • Nov 2007

Aaron, thanks for the tips. However, I miss the ability to receive either an email or an RSS item for *every* post to the forums, and without me needing to manually subscribe to every topic. Besides, if I need to log into the forums to manually subscribe to topics every day, then what's the use of an email or RSS feed?

Well, yes I know that it's good for monitoring topics in which I've posted, but IMO that's only part of the solution. Are there no extensions or options for vBulletin to change this behavior? That seems a little sad.

What will happen is that I won't monitor the forum as much because of the inconvenience, maybe once per week instead of daily. I know that in the Big Picture, it doesn't matter how often Pete visits the forums , but I just think that this would be a nice feature to have.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Other Solutions

We are looking into other solutions (3rd party plug-ins, forwarding). These are the tools that are built-in and currently available.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• B2C
                Fanatic
                • May 2005

The forum email notification is not working for me for a long period.
                Don't know when it began. But it did work before.
                I changed nothing. I've checked over my forum settings and my email junk box. But no clue.
                Please help me find the reason.

BTW, some other forums provide RSS for every post.
                Will you consider about improving?

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are you subscribed to the thread? And double check which email you registered with? We use vBulletin for the forum, and are limited by their toolset for RSS.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• B2C
                    Fanatic
                    • May 2005

Finally found the reason. My own fault...
                    I changed my email client app last year but omitted to subscribe some of the IMAP sub-folders for that account. The notification emails went to a sub-folder according to the rules I set at the web end so long ago that I forgot it...

Comment

Working...