Copy section arrows in the center/isolate handling?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abraun
    Visitor
    • Jan 2008

Copy section arrows in the center/isolate handling?

When doing the comparison, the inline arrows for copying sections are all on the left edge of their respective text. It would be easier/faster to use arrows if they were all in a center between the two files. As it currently is, you are forced to keep moving the mouse back and forth across the pane to mix two file together.

While on the subject of these arrows, in sections where there is a difference present for both files (ie. not missing lines, but changed lines), how difficult would be to have a modifier click that inserted the section from one side to the other? Something like shift-click on the copy section arrow for insert above and control-click for insert below (obviously just a thought on implementation, but it seems like the relative key positions map nicely for this ...). This eliminates the requirement to copy and paste for situations where a section of text is missing from one file but shows as mismatched.

There is almost a way to do this with the isolate context menu, but it doesn't work correctly. The first image shows before the isolate is executed and second after. The issue is that even though the lines are physically separated, they are still grouped together and selecting copy from one side to the other still has the affect of completely replacing with the other (instead of adding the line to the other file).
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by abraun
    It would be easier/faster to use arrows if they were all in a center between the two files.
    In the Tweak dialog (Ctrl+Shift+T) on the Text Editors tab you can enable "Right side gutter for left editor". Let us know how that works for you.

Originally posted by abraun
    The issue is that even though the lines are physically separated, they are still grouped together and selecting copy from one side to the other still has the affect of completely replacing with the other (instead of adding the line to the other file).
    Michael Bulgrien has suggested that the Isolate command could retain the selection after the shift, so that the isolated lines would be ready to copy. We'll consider your suggestion along with his.

Thanks,
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Kujawa
      Enthusiast
      • Oct 2007

Wow, I had no idea about that configuration dialog. Is that key shortcut the only way to get there? I don't know that anyone would find that on their own. I see that the help says they are intentionally hidden "advanced options", but it seems a shame--some of those look very handy.

I like that particular option a lot: I'm usually editing and scrolling in the right window. I may decide to revert a part of the file, and to do so meant going all the way across to the left side of the left window to hit the arrow. Now it's right there!

Comment

• Erik
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

You can customize the "Tweaks" command to show in the "Tools" menu.
        Last edited by Aaron; 31-Jan-2008, 02:09 PM. Reason: Tweaks then shows up in the Tools menu, after you Add it.
        Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• abraun
          Visitor
          • Jan 2008

The tweaks work great - this exactly what I was looking for. As Michael mentioned, it's not intuitive to get to this control. Per Erik's message, where do you adjust the setting to allow the tweaks to show up in the view menu?

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the use of the isolate command with the current copy behavior. Other than visually separating the lines, does it provide any benefit? Note that BC2 handled isolate differently and has behavior that seems more effective.

Adam

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

To Customize Commands, go to Tools->Customize Commands.

From here, you will receive a pop-up dialog specific to the commands available to your current, specific view. (So, you will receive a different list if you are in a Folder Compare, or a Text Compare).

Search for, or scroll down, to Tweaks, then check "Show Command in menu". This adds "Tweaks" to the Tools menu.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrroe
              Pooh-Bah
              • Oct 2007

Tweaks dialog

Hi!

In order to avoid confusion of other users about the "Tweaks" dialog in future, I suggest to incorporate it in the "Options" Dialog.
              Many other applications have a checkbox like "show expert options" or "advanced options" for such tweaks. Imaginable for Cirrus, too?

Example from WinSCP:

Bye
              Christoph

Comment

Working...