Little offtopic - new version

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little offtopic - new version

Hi, I am registered user (K-INFO) and wondering why are you leaving INDY lib? Did you find something wrong with it or what?

Thank you
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Little offtopic - new version

Hi Goran,

We've been using Indy 9 since the first Beyond Compare 2.0 release, and while it's stable enough in most cases, we decided to switch away from it for two reasons: (1) Calling TIdFTP.Abort() messes up the connection state on a lot of Unix servers, and (2) we wanted more advanced functionality, such as compressed (MODE Z) transfers.

Indy 10 fixes both of those issues, but we ran into problems with it when we tried to switch to it in our 2.3 beta release. The most significant issue was that it didn't handle server-side disconnects very well, which Indy 9 didn't have a problem with. I haven't tried it since our tests during the 2.3 beta, but back then if you got disconnected due to an inactivity timeout it made the object unusable for any further commands, including Disconnect(). When we have time we'll work with the Indy guys to get that fixed, but it was enough of an issue that we decided to check other alternatives for the rest of the 2.x lifespan.

The library we're using now, the SmartFTP FTP Library, is the same one used by the SmartFTP FTP client. Since their commercial client uses it they have a lot of incentive to fix bugs quickly, and they only support FTP, so their time isn't split up over 30+ different protocols. They've been very responsive to questions, and even made a few enhancements for us before we bought a license. I think the feedback we've gotten about it in the 2.4 beta has been entirely positive too.

We aren't going to do so soon, but we are keeping an eye on Indy and may consider it again sometime in the BC v3 release cycle.

BTW, you should update yourself on our mailing list here. The address we have for you is bouncing.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you for detailed answer. About my subscription to mailing list I really dont remember what was my login name?
      And yes, my operator changed my e-mail adress. What to do?

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello Goran,

Please send an email to [email protected] with your old email address and company name and we'll look you up in our database and correct the contact information.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...