bc2 error code

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

bc2 error code

After installing BC2 on a new system and filling in the registration key I get a popup with the following message:

Unable to load plug-in "BC2PluginMFC.bcp". System Error. Code: 126. The specified module could not be found.

However, the specified module is in the same directory as BC2.exe ...

Said module/plugin work fine for us on other systems, which had BC2 already installed.

What is happening/wrong?

Harry
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: bc2 error code

Is BC2PluginMFC.bcp a plug-in that you wrote, or are you just trying to load the sample plug-in from our web site?

The error means there is a missing DLL, so it is probably a VC++ or MFC dll that is missing on the problematic system.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Is BC2PluginMFC.bcp a plug-in that you wrote, or are you just trying to load the sample plug-in from our web site?

The error means there is a missing DLL, so it is probably a VC++ or MFC dll that is missing on the problematic system.

Chris, thx for answering,
      yes it is a plugin that we wrote. The missing dll remark makes sense, since all the systems where it does work have MS VC installed. I found 4 dlls missing: comres.dll, msctf.dll, mslbui.dll and uxtheme.dll

After copying these to the directory with BC2.exe, starting BC2.exe still gave the same popup.

Do you have more info about necessary dlls? Other stuff that might be missing?

thx, Harry

Comment

• Ernie
        Fanatic
        • Mar 2004

You may find Sysinternal's FileMon (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html) utility handy.

Launch it and try to load bc2 and the plug-in. After the failure, examine the filemon output for "file not found" kind of messages.

Comment

You may find Sysinternal's FileMon (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html) utility handy.

Launch it and try to load bc2 and the plug-in. After the failure, examine the filemon output for "file not found" kind of messages.

Thx, I also used their ProcessExplorer to find the dlls bc2 uses.

When examining the output of FileMon I can see that bc2.exe is looking for dlls in the wrong place; even if I add the directory with the required dlls in the Path-env-variable, it seems to look for them in the wrong place (or so FileMon tells me).

The dlls concerned make up the JVM rte. They, and bc2.* are part of an installer package. The JVM stuff is supposed to be copied, and called from, a subdirectory of the one bc2.exe is in. It seems altering the Path-env-variable does not help bc2.exe to find the dlls. Instead it looks for them
          1 directory up from the one bc2.exe is in, or in C:\Program Files\bin. I have no clue why.

Harry

Comment

Path-problem solved, by using local instead of absolute directories.

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

I just checked and BC2 only looks for *.bcp files in it's exe directory, and then it calls LoadLibrary with just the filename. I'll switch that to use an absolute path in the next release, but you might check and see if that could affect anything. Any further dependencies that the BCP has are handled by Windows or code in the DLL, so BC isn't the one looking elsewhere.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• harryvs
                New User
                • Nov 2005

I just checked and BC2 only looks for *.bcp files in it's exe directory, and then it calls LoadLibrary with just the filename. I'll switch that to use an absolute path in the next release, but you might check and see if that could affect anything. Any further dependencies that the BCP has are handled by Windows or code in the DLL, so BC isn't the one looking elsewhere.
                Ah, let me clearify, the problem after all was not with finding the plugin.bcp/dll (I guess the assumption it should be placed in the BC2.exe directory is fine), but with the JVM it tried to load. Inserting an absolute path-name in the Path-env-variable resulted in a double absolute path-name in the expanded Path-env-var, whereas inserting relative path-name (viz. a subdir of BC2.exe dir) expanded correctly. This may be correct behavior and a mistake on my behalf.

Harry

Comment

Working...