Waveform Plug-in

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waveform Plug-in

Hello,

I would love to see a plugin that compares the waveforms of .wav files. I often have to compare audio signals and a beyond compare plugin would make life much simpler. Perhaps it would be best have both waveforms on top of each other, but being on the left and right(or top and bottom) of the screen should also be cool.

great software,

thanks,
    Aristotel
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Waveform Plug-in

Thank you for the suggestion, I added it to our wish list for the future.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• gadgeteria
      Enthusiast
      • Sep 2004

Maybe this one could work together with a more robust MP3 viewer? Right now that viewer only displays differences in size or tags -- I've had two identically-sized MP3 files with the same tags that only displayed with the size field in red, showing that they were different but not really offering a way to compare 'em further.

Maybe an interim solution would be to let you transfer the comparison to the hex viewer -- but a hex comparison is of only limited use for those types of files. In the case above, the difference was only that one was normalized and one was not.

Comment

• Wernight
        Enthusiast
        • May 2005

The wave form is just one appareance of the audio but not the most human revelant. It would be better to show spectrum differences. They are also more visible than waveform and better to make some "approximate" comparison or find part of a wave file in another one.

An example can be seeing using Audacity (free software).

To generate it you need to compute the 1D (Fast) Fourrier Transform. MP3 does it for each 20ms block about. Here it may be over some longuer period.

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thank you for the suggestion. I also added it to our wish list.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• emelie
            Journeyman
            • Jan 2012

Sorry to dig up this old thread.
            Is this still on the wish list? I want to +1 this.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

It is still a wishlist item. If you have any specific examples or notes you would like us to add, just let us know.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• paulthealien
                New User
                • Feb 2023

Hello,
                I found incidentally this thread. I would also be interested in that. Is this feature still on the wishlist?
                Here are my thougths on it.

As the other guys were suggesting, there are software capable of producing time vs spectrum image similar to the one attached.
                The x axis is the audio time, the y axis is the frequency spectrum. Every column of this image is given by the FFT of one time unit of audio (like one second or so, depending on the target image resolution). Once obtained two images (from two audio files to be compared), they can be compared as images to give a more informative similarity level which is related to the audio content.

To obtain something quick, the result of comparing A and B audio files could range from 0 (if all the spectrum is different) to 100% if there is a full match between the two images.

Thanks

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

It's still something on our wishlist, but we have a lot of wishlist items and this isn't one we'll be able to tackle soon with our current schedule. However, if you have exported images, you can compare the images directly in the Picture Compare. You can even create a Tools menu -> File Formats, New (+) Picture format that calls a specific Conversion tab command line for audio *.mp3 files. The Tools menu -> File Formats list is a top/down list, so the topmost format is the one used automatically. So you can then move this new format lower in the list until it is below the normal factory default format. This way, MP3 files still use the default for rules-based scans or double clicking them, but if you can manually launch into a Picture Compare to compare this output.

We have an example of defining a custom conversion here:
                  https://www.scootersoftware.com/supp...rnalconversion
                  This uses RESX files and the Text format, but the other formats can similarly define a conversion.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...