X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stumpii
    Enthusiast
    • Apr 2008

BC4 not detecting external compare tool

I have a program 'CSV_Compare.exe' that reformats CSV files. I have used it as an external file format for a number of years, since before BC4 came out. Every so often I have need of it, and today was one case. When I opened a couple of csv files, I noticed that my external format was not the default and not even listed in the formats dropdown that appears as the top of the document. I went into the file formats settings and it is still configured and enabled. The files still exist in the 'C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\Helpers' folder, so I don't know why it does not show up. Any ideas?

Pic below shows the configuration and it not being in the drop down.

https://www.screencast.com/t/I2x4EF3H

Steve
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The dropdown in the Text Compare session type only shows the subset of Text formats (white icons). To load into the External format, you would need to launch from the context menu or a Folder Compare down into a child File sessiontype, which then detects the topmost match in the File Formats list, which would pick your format.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Stumpii
      Enthusiast
      • Apr 2008

I don't believe it used to work like that. I have been using external file formats since BC4 came out. When opening a file, the program would go through the list of file formats and the first match, internal or external would be used. There does not appear to be a context menu for external compare and having to create a folder compare to then select two files to compare makes no sense when I want to compare two files in explorer.

Steve

Comment

• Stumpii
        Enthusiast
        • Apr 2008

I have download some old versions and they appear to work the same, so I don't remember how this external format worked before, I am sure that I just use the explorer extension to compare two files.

I will keep plugging away to see what I can work. It's been a long time since I used this external format tool.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

• Stumpii
          Enthusiast
          • Apr 2008

Could you add as feature request to perform an external compare when performing a file compare?

Steve

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Using the Windows Explorer context menu does go through the full file format list, and would launch the first matching External format (or Internal format).

From a Folder Compare, if you double click your files, is it correctly opening the External format by default? If so, the Explorer menu "Compare" should open the same view when selecting to compare two files. The External Formats also have definitions for Quick Compare, Merge, and Quick Merge. Which Explorer menu command are you executing, and which of these Format command lines have you defined?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

A couple other things to check:

Could we see the full command lines for your command line and compare command line?

You also mention that you used this previous to BC4, but BC3 did not support the External Format. Perhaps in BC3 you had defined a Text format which had an external conversion? If so, this would explain the trouble. For a guide on how to set up one of those, using RESX as the example case, see here:
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...rnalconversion

If you still have the original BC3 install around, you could use the Tools menu -> Export, export your BC3 format, and then Import into BC4.

The difference between the views would be, a Text Compare using a conversion command line would format and view the text within the BC4 Text Compare window. A BC4 External Format would launch a whole new program for viewing or comparing files, replacing the Text Compare (or any other BC4 file viewer) window.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Stumpii
                Enthusiast
                • Apr 2008

I think I have found my issue. My organisation has recently enforced UAC on our computers and as the helpers are run from the program files folder, the program cannot function properly and just hangs. I remember seeing somewhere about running helpers from the %APPDATA% folder, but when I move my program there, it seems BC4 does not look there for helpers. In the file format settings, I have specify 'Helpers\MyProg\MyProg.exe' instead of the absolute path. Is there an option required for BC to look in the APPDATA folder?

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3 would store Helpers in the Program Files\ install directory, and BC4 stores them in your %AppData%\Beyond Compare 4\Helpers\ folder. If you place your program into the AppData location, but was previously working in the Install directory, then the File Format definition also needs to be updated. Go to the Tools menu -> File Formats, select your format, and double check the file path in the Conversion tab. This is a relative path which supports starting with Helper\, or an absolute path, or using the Browse button to navigate to the helper app.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Stumpii
                    Enthusiast
                    • Apr 2008

I only use relative path, but when I move my helper from program files to appdata, I see a 'Helpers\CSVCompare\CSVCOmpare.exe' error message. When I move it back to program files, BC finds the program. As I upgraded from BC3 to BC4, it is still looking for the BC3 location?

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Hello,

What is the full text listed in the Tools menu -> File Formats, select your specific format, Conversion tab?
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Stumpii
                        Enthusiast
                        • Apr 2008

Pic attached to first post/

Comment

Working...