X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coderpj
    New User
    • Nov 2018

Suggestion: Optionally honor .editorconfig files

Many of the repositories I've worked in for the last few years now have relied on .editorconfig files (editorconfig.org) to set certain basic indentation and whitespace rules across multiple editors. It would be nice if I could turn on an option in Beyond Compare that says "Automatically detect EditorConfig" or some such to establish these settings for a session, especially since I work across projects that use different options. I do think it should probably be optional, since it does involve scanning "up" the file-system path for one or more files, and so could increase start-up time slightly for single file diffs, e.g. when running git difftool.

Would this be generally valuable? If not, is there some command-line integration I could write myself, to convert .editorconfig files to something bcompare understands, and pass those options in at diff time?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. Support for .editorconfig files is on the feature request list for a future version of Beyond Compare.

Beyond Compare doesn't support setting editor options with command line switches. If you want to try to edit them outside of Beyond Compare, they're stored in the file: "%appdata%\scooter software\beyond compare 4\BCFileFormats.xml".
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• coderpj
      New User
      • Nov 2018

Thanks, Chris; I'm glad to hear this is on the roadmap. I may try to write something anyway, and if I do I'll be sure to post it here.

Comment

Working...