X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim
    Thanks, Michael. That's exactly what we're looking for -- people who would miss "Always Show Folders" if we permanently remove it.
    Another reason I like to keep folders visible is that sometimes I have a partially expanded folder tree (only certain subfolders expanded) that I want to work with against several target folders. When I copy differences to the first target destination, all the folders collapse and dissappear. So when I select the next target, I have to re-expand the desired subfolder tree(s) all over again. In BC2, with the Always Show Folders option, the folder structure stays the way I've prepped it so that I do not need to re-prep it when I pair it with a new destination folder.

One thing BC2 does not do (that I would like to see in BC3) is for BC to remember the expanded state of folders without subfolders when a directory tree is re-paired with a new target. In other words, although the expanded tree structure stays open in BC2, folders without subfolders do not re-expand to show their file contents. It would be nice, in an always show folders implementation, if the expanded attribute would be remembered for these folders as well.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• rgjordan
      Enthusiast
      • Oct 2007

I'm trying to figure this out as well. If possible, I would like to the the toggle icon in bc3. Many times I am trying to replicate a skeleton directory structure on a peer server without moving all the files contained within like log files, etc. So in bc2 I set my mask to hide all files and click the icon "Always Show Folders". I can then replicate the folders without their contents.

Rob

Comment

• Tim
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

In that case you should have Compare Folder Structure enabled. (It will likely be enabled by default anyway.) Then when you set your mask to hide all files and click Show All you'll be able to replicate the folder structure.
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• rgjordan
          Enthusiast
          • Oct 2007

I wasn't able to get that to work. Would it be useful for me to send a video of what I'm doing? Anyways, I strongly believe this is confusing in bc3 and I've been using bc2 for two years.

I think there should be two toggle buttons.
          One for always show/don't show files and one for always show/don't show folders.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by rgjordan
            I wasn't able to get that to work.
            Hi Rob,

Part of the confusion is that you have to set two seemingly contradictory filters in two different places. Tim is saying to set your Toggles and/or Favorites to Show All Files (see selected toolbar buttons in images below) and at the same time set your File Filters to Filter All Files (see the selected filter text in the images below). I agree that it is not as intuitive as it could be...but it should work.

or
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

You can always send us email at [email protected]
              Please include your settings as well (Help menu -> Support; Export)
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
                Expert
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim
                The new "Compare Folder Structure" option combines and replaces two features that in our view were "band-aids" -- stuck on to fix complaints but not well integrated into the core model.

If the new feature is as successful as we hope it will be, we will enable it by default.
                I only with the "always show folders" (or its replacement) were available as a global setting, and on a session level only an override.

I always want to always show folders (all folders) - but as it is I have to remember to manually set this for each session, including sessions started from the shell extension.

I'd like everyone to try turning on the option in your most-used sessions and your Folder Compare session defaults. Let us know if you find any problems with it, and in what cases you'd rather have it off.
                Never. A toolbar button might be handy as a temporary override, but it's confusing as a way to set session settings when it's not in the session settings (or global settings). A setting belongs in a settings dialog.
                Last edited by Marjolein Katsma; 03-Mar-2008, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• Erik
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Marjolein Katsma
                  I only with the "always show folders" (or its replacement) were available as a global setting, and on a session level only an override. [sic]
                  You can make your session settings global by saving them as the defaults. In the "Session Settings" dialog, switch the combobox at the bottom left to "Also upate session defaults" before clicking "OK". You can also edit the defaults on an "Open Sesson" tab.
                  Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Tim
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

It sounds like you agree with our current implementation: "Compare Folder Structure" is a (global) session default option, and individual sessions can override it.

As Erik said, you can edit the session defaults in order to affect all new sessions including those started from the shell extension.

The next release will have that option on by default.
                    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
                      Expert
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Erik
                      You can make your session settings global by saving them as the defaults. In the "Session Settings" dialog, switch the combobox at the bottom left to "Also upate session defaults" before clicking "OK". You can also edit the defaults on an "Open Sesson" tab.
                      But the "Always show folders" button is not (has never been) on the session defaults dialog - so how can I make it the default?

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
                        Expert
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim
                        It sounds like you agree with our current implementation: "Compare Folder Structure" is a (global) session default option, and individual sessions can override it.
                        It sounds like that is not the same as "Always show folders", and if it isn't then I don't agree with the current implementation at all.

"Always show folders" is a view. I just want to have folders visible whether or not I do a comparison on them - they should just be always visible.

"Compare Folder Structure" is an action (or at least sounds like one). I want to see folders regardless of whether I am or will be comparing their structure or not, regardless of whether files or subfolders are hidden or found to be identical after a comparison.

The next release will have that option on by default.
                        If I misunderstand, please explain how this is the same thing as "Always show folders". If it isn't, please give it back and allow us to have that as a global (not just session) setting.

Comment

• Tim
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Sorry, I completely misunderstood your post. I thought you were advocating a session setting.

Compare Folder Structure is not the same as Always Show Folders. You're right -- Always Show Folders is a view option, while Compare Folder Structure is a session setting that defines what constitutes a difference.

These are two separate topics for our design.

The Compare Folder Structure feature is a core issue, since this is a comparison tool and a precise yet flexible definition of what constitutes a difference helps everything else fall into place -- what appears in a view, how the view responds to display filters, and how actions are interpreted. Hopefully the current behavior (but with the option on by default) is a natural replacement for a hodgepodge of BC2 settings. I suspect that many users will find that it replaces their need for Always Show Folders. We haven't gotten a lot of feedback on this yet but perhaps there will be more once we change the default.

In summary, both you and Michael would like to see Always Show Folders reinstated regardless of the Compare Folder Structure feature. We respect your opinion and hope to hear from others as well.
                          Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
                            Expert
                            • Oct 2007

Phew! Thanks.

I was actually having trouble formulating what was so obvious to me... I sometimes have to muddle myself through it before the right words pop out. Sorry for not putting it clearer before.

Comment

• norrisg
                              Enthusiast
                              • Apr 2008

My 2 cents worth

Let me explain why I'll not be using BC3 if it doesn't have "Always Show Folders" as a quickly accessible button.

When I'm comparing folders, I use the two sides first to copy new files which have shown up one side or the other, and then to eliminate obsolete files. Without "Always Show Folders" it can be quite difficult to find the new files amidst dozens or hundreds of others (the reason this button was added in BC2), however once the new files are copied, the entire folder will disappear until I toggle "Always Show Folders" back on again.

Having to delve into the session settings or make other settings changes is not only highly inconvenient, but it will also trigger a comparision to start all over again, which can take quite a long time with large directory structures. In short, it isn't workable for me without "Always Show Folders".

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                                Carpal Tunnel
                                • Oct 2007

I, too, consistently use BC2 for certain activities since BC3 no longer has the "Always Show Folders" button. Although I love most of the changes in BC3, this is the number one reason why I will not be able to completely replace BC2 with BC3 in my environment. I really would prefer not to have two versions of Beyond Compare installed...but the frustration of always having folders dissappear when I don't want them to makes it necessary.
                                BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...