Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Actually, "Always Show Folders" is always available on the toolbar (as well as "Ignore Folder Structure", etc). They are included in the dropdown button to the right of the display filters. You just pick "Always Show Folders" from the dropdown to turn it on.
    Erik Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by jdmarch View Post
    How would you put a 4-way choice on a single button?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Actually, "Always Show Folders" is always available on the toolbar (as well as "Ignore Folder Structure", etc). They are included in the dropdown button to the right of the display filters. You just pick "Always Show Folders" from the dropdown to turn it on.
    Well, a 4-way requires twice as many clicks as we used to have doesn't it? There may be reasons to double the effort required to do something, but this is what ultimately leads to a user interface where most of it is useless to most users.

I would simply like a toggle, but it's obvious I'm not going to get it.

We have four states that are mutually exclusive, not a simple toggle. The alternative would be to have 4 buttons that would take up around 3 times the space on an already crowded toolbar.

How about if you assign keyboard shortcuts to your two favorite states?
    Tim T Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by norrisg View Post
    I would simply like a toggle, but it's obvious I'm not going to get it.
    Which 2 of the 4 states do you think the button should toggle between?

I was trying to think whether there is a user-friendly way to do it with 2 buttons (2 states squared = 4 states) but the 4 states don't seem to break down into an obvious matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmarch View Post
    Which 2 of the 4 states do you think the button should toggle between?
    Whatever other one is currently selected and "Always Show Folders". Of course, that would require the previous state to be saved so it could be restored.

Personally, I doubt I'd ever toggle between anything other than "Compare Files and Folder Structure" and "Always Show Folders". The other two ("Only Compare Files" and "Ignore Folder Structure") are rather different types of comparison, and if I was designing this I would probably have had a three-way for (abbreviated) CFaFS, OCF and IFS, with ASF a separate button, most likely disabled for IFS.