• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

23425 Missing space

At the pointer here:

the display is missing a space that shows in the Alignment details.

Is this a bug? Or some misconfig by me?

Hex, for info:

• Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

E2 80 8B in UTF-8 character encoding is zero width space, that is why it isn't shown in BC's normal display.

https://www.fileformat.info/info/uni...200B/index.htm
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

By that token, seems to me it shouldn't be displayed in the Alignment details.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. Handling of zero width characters isn't easy.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

"Alignment Details" and "Hex Details" are explicitly intended to show what's affecting the comparison in ways that aren't immediately obvious from the visible text. It should absolutely show zero width characters. The behavior for combining characters is debatable, but I can't see changing it for zero-width or otherwise invisible characters. If you don't want it to show the gap, switch to "Text Details".
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Zoë
            "Alignment Details" [is] explicitly intended to show what's affecting the comparison in ways that aren't immediately obvious from the visible text.
            I (going just by the docs and UI) thought Alignment Details was intended to show just alignment details, and since showing a zero length space as full length is not that (and arguably actually misreps the alignment), it was unexpected, and I concluded the fault was in the main display, as reported.

If you're suggesting I should pretend the name of this is Details, point taken. I will. Please consider remedying the UI and docs accordingly.

Originally posted by Zoë
            If you don't want it to show the gap, switch to "Text Details".
            I switched away from Text Details because it failed to show me the textual detail causing this mismatch. By what token a zero-length space is not a text detail, I don't know!

Thanks and good luck in improving an already great program,
            Last edited by chrisjj; 06-Nov-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...