X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • afsfire
    Visitor
    • Nov 2018

Massive Deduplication comparison

I'm brand new to Beyond Compare so I apologize if my question seems simple. (in fact I hope that it is and I'm just not seeing it). I have spent hours upon days, upon weeks of manually deduplicating a massive folder in terms of quantity of files and subfolders. The files range from various audio types (mp3, m4a, wav, etc.,), various document types (pdf, doc, xls, txt etc.,), and various Photo types... What I'm looking to accomplish is to compare the deduplicated folder (Folder A) with the folder that was the destination for the duplicates (Folder B) in order to determine if I have moved all copies of a duplicate group to the Duplicates folder. Or basically to make sure I have at least one copy of each file in the original folder (FolderA). This might sound easy enough with BC4 however There were multiple copies of Thousands of files and a great deal of the copies were in different locations. What I need BC to do is only show me files that are "Nowhere" in the Folder A's subfolders that are "anywhere" in the Folder B's subfolders. I don't want the session to care where the files are located in the respective folders... just that if there is a file that is in Folder B that is not in Folder A. Each refresh takes about an hour or so... So I have to maximize my time on the refreshes.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare can do this if the duplicates have the same name.

Load the two folders in Beyond Compare's Folder Compare. Then select View > Ignore Folder Structure.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• afsfire
      Visitor
      • Nov 2018

Thanks and I tried that however I am not getting desired results. If you can see the screenshot I have linked.it shows that I have the Ignore Folder Structure Set and then Right orphans. I did a search in the Folder A and as you can see in the screenshot the file is in Folder A. Are these not the settings that you specified or am I doing something wrong? here is the link to the screenshot. https://imgur.com/a/y6QA3Iv

Comment

• afsfire
        Visitor
        • Nov 2018

Originally posted by afsfire
        Thanks and I tried that however I am not getting desired results. If you can see the screenshot I have linked.it shows that I have the Ignore Folder Structure Set and then Right orphans. I did a search in the Folder A and as you can see in the screenshot the file is in Folder A. Are these not the settings that you specified or am I doing something wrong? here is the link to the screenshot. https://imgur.com/a/y6QA3Iv
        Any other help on this available?

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Is it possible the files are matching? If that's the case, setting the display filter to View > Show All might help.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

It might also help to drag the Path column wider. The ...\ indicates the path is too long to fit in the column, dragging the path column wider might help indicate where the files are located.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• afsfire
              Visitor
              • Nov 2018

ok new screenshot, I have selected All...

I'm wondering if the software can do what I'm looking for. I only want to see files on the right hand column in which there are no matches in the left hand column regardless of the path of the files, as long as they are under the root folders of each side. Is this possible?

https://imgur.com/a/sFI9mQU

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Sorry, Beyond Compare can ignore the folder structure, but it doesn't provide a good way to automatically align files for comparison when there are multiple files with the same names on one side.

Files are aligned for comparison based on name. If there are multiple files with the same name on one side and one file with that name on the other, it doesn't look at additional criteria like size or CRC to determine which file should be aligned.

Beyond Compare might not be the right tool for this task, unless the set of files is small enough to eyeball each set of files with the same name.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...