X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc5301
    Journeyman
    • Mar 2016

Permission denied on Mac

Recently I have got an error message "Permission Denied" when writing a file via Beyond Compare (v4.2.6) on Mac Mojave. The permission mode of the file is belong to me. With other application I could modify the files. Can't figure out how to solve this issue. Could anyone be on help? Thanks.
  • twizz
    Visitor
    • Feb 2014

same problem; "Permission denied" on two external drives, where I am logged in as the owner, permissions are correct showing read & write for me, finder correctly shows the drives.

Comment

• twizz
      Visitor
      • Feb 2014

fixed.

Originally posted by twizz
      same problem; "Permission denied" on two external drives, where I am logged in as the owner, permissions are correct showing read & write for me, finder correctly shows the drives.
      I switched to an Administrator account (I'm a techie; NEVER use an admin account unless necessary). Carefully -- always be careful in an Admin account, especially when using Terminal
      I opened Terminal, typed
      sudo chmod -Rv 0755
      and a space, then dragged the first folder I wanted to sync from Finder into Terminal so the command looked like
      sudo chmod -Rv 0755 /Volumes/Pics-RdWD
      and after putting my password in, it showed all the files having their permissions updated. The "0755" translates to Allow read by owner, Allow write by owner, allow execution of files and searching of directories, allow read by group members, all write by group members, allow read by others, allow write by others. For files, allow execution & searching of directories by others.
      I then ran the same command, but dragged in the second folder involved in the sync.
      Beyond Compare then worked fine.

Now that I've done that, I am going to change the permissions again, this time with a 0750 code so "others" cannot read nor write nor search the directories.

Comment

• ctc5301
        Journeyman
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by twizz
        I switched to an Administrator account (I'm a techie; NEVER use an admin account unless necessary)....
        Thanks for sharing. But The problem still exists on my Mac even with this manual permission setting.
        The problem seems to start from Mac OS 10.13(?). I even added Beyond Compare with the capability of the full disk access in system setting.

Comment

• ctc5301
          Journeyman
          • Mar 2016

If you have Xcode installed on your Mac, and you know how to use the commands in the Termina, the below provides a way to grant BC4 for file writing permission on Mac Mojave.

0: reference link: https://oleb.net/blog/2012/02/checki...tatus-in-code/

1. Create a template file and copy the whole code block in the reference link into the file.
          I use ~/a.plist as the filename for example.
          The content of the file looks like the below:
          <plist version="1.0">
          <key>com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-write</key>
          <true/>
          </dict>
          </plist>

2. Backup BC4 before proceeding, in case you may want to restore the previous status.
          >> cp "/Applications/Beyond Compare.app" "/Applications/Beyond Compare Backup.app"

3. Assign the permissions to BC4.
          >> codesign -s - -f --entitlements ~/a.plist "/Applications/Beyond Compare.app"

Now, BC4 has the permission to write the files.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

This looks promising and thanks for this information. We're still researching how 10.14 Mojave changed this behavior, but two methods we are familiar with is to:
            1) Use the Beyond Compare menu -> Install Command Line Tools, and then from the Terminal launch BC4 with sudo bcompare to elevate privleges
            2) In the MacOS System Preferences, Security & Privacy section, under the Privacy tab, scroll to the Full Disk Access section and add/drag Beyond Compare.app.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

ctc5301,

What files were you trying to modify that re-signing the package with entitlements fixed? We've been doing research here, and the only places that should have changed with Mojave were under ~/Library, and that can be fixed by adding BC to the "Full Disk Access" list under System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Privacy.

Adding an entitlement shouldn't have changed anything at all. We don't distribute BC in the App Store, so it isn't a sandboxed app, and entitlements aren't used unless the sandbox is enabled.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• ktsmobile
                New User
                • Mar 2024

[QUOTE=Aaron;n75792]Hello,

This looks promising and thanks for this information. We're still researching how 10.14 Mojave changed this behavior, but two methods we are familiar with is to:
                1) Use the Beyond Compare menu -> Install Command Line Tools, and then from the Terminal launch BC4 with sudo bcompare to elevate privleges. # Terminal command is:
                Sudo bcompare

Option 1 appears to have worked, still testing, but the first few minutes show no errors.

Comment

Working...