Registry Comparison - Files can't have high ASCII characters?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BarryM
    Visitor
    • Sep 2012

Registry Comparison - Files can't have high ASCII characters?

I'm trying to perform a Registry comparison that contains German strings that have characters outside the standard low ASCII range and I keep getting parsing errors that prevents me from doing an easy comparison.

For illustration, the comparison has errors when it encounters these characters:
    ö “ ” ´ € Ü Ö Ä

Can the Registry compare be made to be a bit more flexible in the characters that it accepts? I don't know of any reason why these can't be accepted by the filter.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are you using the latest release of BC 4.2.6? If so, could you use regedit or BC4 to Export a .reg file with a key you are hitting a parsing error with (perhaps both methods, to see how regedit handles it and contrast with how BC4 is failing, if BC4 allows the export)? I've created a couple test keys on my system with the above characters, but I am not hitting a parsing issue.

Email into [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread for our reference, and rename the files to .txt.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• BarryM
      Visitor
      • Sep 2012

Hi Aaron.

Yep, I'm on 4.2.6. OK, sent.

I've tried to reduce the test case file a bit and it still fails on line 4882. If I start cutting the file before that error the problem goes away. I'm using Windows Notepad and taking the default ASCII character set as my Save As choice.

Let me know if it makes it through to you.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Made it, and we found the file had a mix of UTF8 characters within it, while attempting to save as ASCII. As you found in your email, the encoding error would need to be resolved by altering how you are exporting the file.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...