X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandstones
    New User
    • Sep 2018

Setting default session type by file extension

I frequently am comparing .csv files, and want to do that as a text compare.

In an older version I found an option somewhere to specify that csv files should be compared as text. But I can't find such an option in the current version.

I end up first running the compare as a csv compare, and then changing the session type. Which is getting very tiresome.

Is there still such an option, and if so, where?

Thanks
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

In the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, you have a default Table format for associated with *.csv files. You can use the New (+) button to create a new Text format, and give it a custom name and also associate it with *.csv for the file mask. Whichever format is higher in the list is the one used automatically, while the other format will be used when appropriate (if already in a Table Compare, for example).

This way, you can control which session type is used by default, as well as various Format settings.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Axel@work
      Visitor
      • Jul 2020

Hi Aaron,

thanks for the quick reply.
      I had seen a similar answer before - but it does not solve the issue.

I use different rules for different table comparisons (because table format and content is different)...
      but I have just the following options to save it:
      - just for the current open session (lost on next openening) or
      - default for all table reports (overwriting the options I used for my former comparison session)

Saving the session also does not help, because it already has the associated files included...

Is all that correct?

If yes, the sorting in the file formats etc. does not help...
      I would expect a "save session settings as ...." and a way to associate it with the file opening mechanism (minor important)

Perhaps there is basic thing I did not understand - otherwise I'm afraid this would be an bigger change...

Thanks, Axel

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you go into more detail on how many different Session Sets you might need? The more common workflow for shifting definitions would be to use a specific saved session, a combination of settings and files, that is then loaded like a bookmark to re-compare those files with those settings.

You could also save a Session without loaded files, but with configured settings. From the Home screen you can load the blank configured session, then drag/drop files into it to load those files with the configured settings. How does this work for you?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Axel@work
          Visitor
          • Jul 2020

Aaron,

Could you go into more detail on how many different Session Sets you might need?
          Just a handful, easily to be handled with manual savings

You could also save a Session without loaded files, but with configured settings.
          Thanks, that sounds like a good workaround. I'll check that tomorrow, when back in the office.

Normally we access BC just by right clicks (out of explorer / total commander) - therefore things like sessions, drag'n'drop or starting the program "empty" is somehow completely out of focus; it's not used...
          But it might work in that way... I check it

Thanks again, Axel

Comment

Working...