No plans for word wrap in bc3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreenMoose

No plans for word wrap in bc3?

According to post in bc2-forum (http://www.scootersoftware.com/ubbth...hp?Number=9027) word wrapping is considered in a future release.

Are there any plans to implement word wrapping option in bc3? (I guess not in the initial release since it already made Beta).

When I compare xml-files for instance, I often have the trouble that a line is too long so I must scroll each time to view what actually diffs since the beginning of the lines is identical.
    If the line could wrap thus visualing the differences spanning on several rows, this would be a great helper.

A related small but also useful feature IMHO would be an option to "scroll to first difference" or similar, so when selecting a line in the main diff-pane, the line-boxes at bottom would scroll to the first difference automatically.

Thanks.
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

This is definitely an important feature that we intend to implement some day. I can't say if it will make it into any of the 3.x releases.

Probably a higher priority will be to release a XML Compare session type, that would display data in a tree, with word-wrapping within cells.

In a recent release we changed the Next Different Section command to scroll the line details area to the first difference. I'm not sure we'd want to do that when simply selecting a line.

Thanks!
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• GreenMoose

Originally posted by Tim
      <...>
      In a recent release we changed the Next Different Section command to scroll the line details area to the first difference. I'm not sure we'd want to do that when simply selecting a line.
      Thanks!
      Ah that sounds like a good solution, thanks.
      Last edited by Guest; 21-Jan-2008, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• GreenMoose

I have now tried this with Build 444 but the line detail pane doesn't auto-scroll to the first diff when I use the Next Different Section (Ctrl+N or using the toolbar arrow).

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Text details only scrolls if the start of the first diff is off the screen (not within the current focus of the text details pane). Even so, when a scroll does occur, only two or three of the initial characters of the diff are visibile on the screen.

It would be more useful if more of the diff was visible.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• GreenMoose

My mistake was I didn't spot some "unimportant" whitespace difference so it actually worked fine. (I have changed the background color now so I can spot those as well).

Like you I as well would like to have more of the auto-scrolled diff visible since I usually tend to keep on scrolling to right to see the context. (Maybe a stop scrolling when difference is occupying X percent of line or so?)

Comment

Working...