Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hello,

Not within automation. The graphical interface allows you to configure and save sessions based on specific files and setting combinations, then load and generate reports as needed. The scripting, however, does not support loading a saved Table Compare. The workaround is that script will use the default table compare settings when generating a report, and because these settings are plain text, it is possible to override them (changing the global defaults on the fly) before calling any specific compare. This scripted solution can update the default depending on which files you are loading, and then load the files/generate the report. It's not an ideal workflow, but it's working within the limitations of the script support.

Since Beyond Compare has dozens of option combinations, the easiest way to determine the syntax for overriding the BCSessions.xml is to generate these changes in the interface, and then compare against an older version of the BCSessions.xml. This way you can see how any setting change is saved in the file, and then create an automated solution (external to BC4) which can update the .xml the same way, before you call to Bcompare.exe to automate the report creation.

Your above .xml example successfully updates the Key columns, but is within a specific saved session "EXAMPLE_1.csv", and isn't the default node location. To find this node, save off a copy of your current BCSessions.xml. Then go to the Home screen, expand the New folder, select Table Compare, and click the "Edit session defaults" button. Update the default column settings, and Save. Load a new, blank Table Compare and load your files and note that the columns are correctly 2,4 by default. Then close BC4 and save off a copy of this updated BCSessions.xml. You can then compare BCSessions.xml to the older BCSessions.xml and see how the settings have updated in the default node section, and how (and, if you changed any other settings, how they also updated).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thank you, I know what I need to do now... which is what I was hoping to avoid. I will have to create the xml with the default, then generate a difference report, regenerate the xml, and so on....

I think this should be added as a scripting feature... I would say the reason why people want to script is for doing huge amounts of difference files. Without this type of flexibility, it makes extremely difficult to script difference reports and almost makes it not worth the effort.

Thanks for you time.

No problem. Enhancing our script is something on our wishlist, and I'll add your notes to our entry on the subject.
    Aaron P Scooter Software