X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • molitar
    Journeyman
    • Mar 2011

Unable to move

I am trying to move folders from one drive to another but when I try I just get error messages that say...

6/27/2018 8:55:33 PM Unable to move C:\Temp\Poaching ( Mitsuryo): Access is denied

But I can copy the folder than manually delete just fine. This worked in previous versions so why is it broken now? How can I fix this problem?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

It might help to right click on Beyond Compare's shortcut and select Run As Administrator to launch the program.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• molitar
      Journeyman
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Chris
      It might help to right click on Beyond Compare's shortcut and select Run As Administrator to launch the program.
      I ran it as admin.. I could copy than delete just fine just not move. It's from one drive to another.. SSD drive to a mechanical drive.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by molitar
        I ran it as admin.. I could copy than delete just fine just not move. It's from one drive to another.. SSD drive to a mechanical drive.
        Do you have one of the drives mounted as a subdirectory, rather than accessing it through a drive letter?
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• molitar
          Journeyman
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zoë
          Do you have one of the drives mounted as a subdirectory, rather than accessing it through a drive letter?
          No but I do have one folder that is a symbolic link but that is the destination so it is not being moved. So maybe a problem with symbolic link support? It works fine for copy but not move does not make such sense.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Where is the symbolic link in relation to what you are moving? Are you selecting and moving files into the symbolic link folder? Is the symbolic link itself being overwritten, or selected folders above it being moved? How does the move command interact with it?

C:\Temp\Poaching ( Mitsuryo): is the error folder, but what is the symbolic link?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• molitar
              Journeyman
              • Mar 2011

E:\Temp2

I was trying to move from C:\Temp to C:\Temp2 which is the E:\Temp2. The C:\Temp trying to move from is a physical hard folder on C drive. Made no sense that copy works and Move does not.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

I'm not sure yet, either. A symlink (created with mklink) set as a base directory supports Copy or Move.

What kind of device is E:\? I setup this test scenario using two internal drives and didn't run into an error. Is your E:\ an external mechanical? Over USB or the network?

And, running as a normal user and/or admin, from within BC4, the Copy works, but does the delete also work? Specifically, does it work in BC4 (and not Explorer, which is a separate test).
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Ah hah! The difference is files vs. folders. In this scenario, a folder Move does fail. You can Cut/Paste in Explorer, but the Windows Command Line also fails this scenario if you use:
                  move "c:\temp\subfolder" "c:\temp2\subfolder"

It's something we'd like to detect and tackle (using internal logic rather than Windows-provided functions), but it's not something we've been able to implement yet.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• molitar
                    Journeyman
                    • Mar 2011

Ok well at least you discovered what the problem is Aaron

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Thanks. And yes, in the meantime, you'll want to use the Copy then Delete method you've found.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...