X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kentcomp
    New User
    • Jun 2018

Reset toolbars to default

I accidentally removed the default dropdown menu (the one that shows Files, Help, etc. When I right mouse click on any of the other toolbars it's the only toolbar that doesn't appear in the list. Is there a way to reset all of the toolbars back to the out of the box defaults? Thank you.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Open the folder: "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3"

In that folder, create a subfolder named old, then move BCCommands.xml, BCPreferences.xml, and BCState.xml to the subfolder. The next time you run Beyond Compare , it will create default settings for those files, which should restore the toolbar settings.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Kentcomp
      New User
      • Jun 2018

Chris,

Thank you so much for your (prompt!) assistance. I actually have two different licenses (two machines) and the one where the toolbar disappeared is actually for BC2. That version doesn't appear to use any XML files, so is it possible to reset the toolbars another way? As you might recall the only two files in the %APPDATA% folder are Rules.bcru and Session.bcse.

Cheers,
      Kent

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 2 stores toolbar settings in the Windows Registry.

To reset toolbar settings for BC2's Folder Viewer toolbars, delete the Toolbars entry in:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\FolderViewer\Toolbars

The next time you run BC2's Folder Viewer, it will use default toolbar settings.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• SAC0808
          New User
          • Aug 2018

Chris-
          I've been using BC3 for many years yet I somehow managed to change one of the default settings yesterday.
          This caused all the info in my Data Compare to show in what appeared to be WingDing font!
          I used your reset info and was able to get it back to the default settings.
          Thank you so much for this information - You saved me hours of frustration!

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

In case it helps, BC3 often has a "Factory Defaults" button in each area of the application (such as each pane of the Options dialog) for easy, in-interface reversion.

BC4 adds this option globally to the Tools menu -> Restore Factory Defaults, which then has a dialog letting you pick which options to revert.

Before performing any reversion, you can always back up you settings using the Tools menu -> Export. And if your current settings are good, you could back them up to restore to them in the future.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...