X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucid66
    New User
    • Dec 2015

Filters text box input affected by Keyboard Shortcuts

Hello, thank you for this great software.

This has been a long standing issue with my workflow. I have assigned several single character shortcuts to allow easy navigating.

For example in the "Folder Compare" view, I have:
    b - Compare Contents
    C - Collapse All
    d - Show Differences
    etc..

My Filters text box is docked on the toolbar. When I want to filter on some pattern.. I can type in the box, but when I type any character that I have used as a shortcut, they don't go into the textbox, but rather that shortcut gets executed.

For example, using the above shortcuts, if I want to type "MyCompare", I can enter "My", but when I hit "C", it just executes the "Collapse All" command.

What I expect to happen is when the cursor is inside the textbox, I should be able to type characters regardless of if they are shortcuts.

Is there something I can do to change this behavior, or is this a bug that needs to be fixed.

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The difference is between modal input and typing into paths. Editing the filter or folder paths is not modal and does not lock the control, so hotkeys still function while typing. If you made a single character hotkey, this would get tripped up by this. Modal dialogs that pop up claim control away from the main view, which then prevent the hotkeys from firing.

The workaround would be to use the Session Settings (Rules toolbar button, or Session menu -> Session Settings) -> Name Filters tab, which would be a modal entry for the filters.
    Another workaround would be to add modifier keys in front of any hotkey, so there are no single key hotkeys.

Locking the hotkey functions while editing a text field is something we can investigate, but would have to be balanced with what actions should be accessible while still within that edit. It may not be a behavior change we can make.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• lucid66
      New User
      • Dec 2015

Thank you for clarifying. For now I ended up making a shortcut to Named Filters so it pops up the modal.

Comment

Working...