X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grindax
    Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Differences in file attributes should be shown in a much more obvious way

When files differ only in their attributes, opening them up in a comparison view doesn't tell you anything useful at all. I'd been trying to figure out why files were getting highlighted as different (red on both sides), when their sizes and timestamps were matches. Opening the files in comparison view revealed them to be binary identical, and the Diff view simply showed some turquoise blocks in exactly the same positions for each file. Only after a while did I finally figure out on my own that the difference was the 'hidden' attribute, and this was only visible in Beyond Compare after enabling the Attributes column in the folder comparison view. Please see the attached screenshot to see what I mean. Surely there must be a better way to show the user that the file attributes are different when they double-click on the file to open the comparison view.
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

From the folder view, the center column shows the results of the content scan, while the other columns show the metadata. Similar to if the size or timestamp were different, you'd also have to review the attributes column if the row shows as red. We don't highlight the specific column differently, but this could be something we can look into if/when we revisit the interface.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• grindax
      Fanatic
      • Feb 2011

Aaron, I think you've completely missed my point. Firstly, the attributes column is not visible by default. Other columns like timestamp and size are visible by default. Secondly, when double-clicking the files, the view that opens up does have sections dedicated to timestamp and size. But nothing for attributes. Thirdly, I was trying to point out that the blue blocks (with red arrows pointing to them in my screenshot) showing some mystery/invisible difference aren't helpful to anybody in this particular case.

Nobody was saying anything about highlighting the specific column differently.

I should have known it would be a waste of my time trying to report this.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry about that. The program is behaving as expected, but I'll try to explain each of these concerns:

When the attribute column is hidden, the attributes are combined with the file name, so they're always in view. My suggestion here was that the coloring of the entire line is based on if anything is detected as a difference, but that we don't highlight exactly what with a different (eye catching) color.

The file views (double click) are modes that do not compare the metadata. Some of the metadata is displayed in the upper status bar, but the comparison results are only derived from the file contents and overall status displayed in the bottom status bar. Read-only is shown, since it impacts the ability to save, but the metadata isn't part of a Rules-based comparison or file viewer. Hence, the Folder View is where we would try to tackle making this information more explicit. As noted in the screenshot, the center column shows the results (equal) of the Viewer/Rules-based scan; the difference must then be elsewhere on the row.

The blue blocks you saw in the Hex Compare do not represent differences. Those represent clickable areas where the cursor currently is not present (Left Hex, Left Text, Right Hex, Right Text). They are always present in any view of the Hex Compare, and are visible wherever is opposite of the current cursor position.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...