• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlicks
    Journeyman
    • Sep 2017

Corrupted Files Issue

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum but have owned BC4 for around 8 months now.

I am currently ripping my physical CD collection to FLAC format, using an excellent s/w called 'Illustrate'. The (music) FLAC files (130GB so far) are stored on my PC's C-drive, a Seagate external-HD, and also on a San-Disk SD-card. It is the latter storage device with which I am having issues.

I have tried the SD-card in 2 different PCs and it works totally fine. I called Microsoft today to report the issue and was advised to clear the SD-card and start over - which I did. Then, using BC4, I copied the FLACs over from my PC to the SD-card (took 3 hours!). But, the files are still showing as being 'corrputed'!?:

Also, a pop-up from BC4:

And footnote:

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul (UK)
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Paul,

First, the BC Error about the State. BCState.xml is where we store our settings, and as a plain text file really shouldn't get into a corrupted state. Where is BC4 installed? If you use the Help menu -> Support dialog; click the blue Explore Settings Folder link, where does this take you (where is BCState.xml)?

As for the corruption on the SD Card, you can select a subset of files that report the issue, aligned in BC4's Folder Compare (right after the copy, for example), right click them, and Compare Contents. In this dialog, select Binary scan. This will tell you if the left and right sides are binary equal, and would let you know if something has corrupted during the transfer, or if both are binary equal (and check the other side to see if it reports as corrupted)? It could be an issue with the software detecting the corruption unable to handle something about directly accessing an SD Card (or that specific SD Card, or how that card is formatted).

Does the last Delete issue happen any time you issue a delete? If you try to delete the same problem file from Explorer, do you see an error? If you reboot your computer (resetting the computer state and the SD card mount), does the issue persist?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
      Journeyman
      • Sep 2017

Hi Aaron,

I really appreciate the reply.

I am currently running your kind suggestion of 'Binary Comparison'. I think this will take some time due the the 2 FLAC folder sizes:

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
        Journeyman
        • Sep 2017

Aaron,

As I mentioned, I phoned Microsoft and (I forgot to show you!) presented them with this Windows pop-up:

However, they were adamant that it was not a Windoze issue and that all of the FLAC files were 'corrupted' (the latter I do not believe to be the case).

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
          Journeyman
          • Sep 2017

... the Binary Comparison says 78 mins remaining ...

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
            Journeyman
            • Sep 2017

(I have replied with some more sceenshots for you but these posts do not seem to be appearing here? Thanks)

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
              Journeyman
              • Sep 2017

Hi Aaron,

Please see 'Binary Comparison' report:

Many thanks.
              Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 06-Apr-2018, 12:53 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

And if you create a clone/test folder (so you can test deleting on both sides without losing data), can you delete either side?

If Windows throws an error, then BC4 will likely fail, too. It could be drivers, or a corrupt sd card, or other factors. If multiple programs are having trouble with the SD Card, there is some lower level problem going on here.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
                  Journeyman
                  • Sep 2017

Hi Aaron,

The SD only plays up this 1 PC; I tested it on 2 others this morning.

I tried this twice:
                  Created a new folder on my desktop. Copied across (from the SD-card) a few albums. Then I ran PerfTunes (a s/w to check for corruptions). The only 'corrupt' files reported were (still) those (identical!) on the SD, and NOT those in the desktop folder.

The files on the SD still show as 'corrupted' even with MalwareBytes disabled.

I do seem to be able to DELETE files now, which is something I suppose!

Thanks a lot,

Paul
                  Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 06-Apr-2018, 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
                    Journeyman
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Aaron
                    First, the BC Error about the State. BCState.xml is where we store our settings, and as a plain text file really shouldn't get into a corrupted state. Where is BC4 installed? If you use the Help menu -> Support dialog; click the blue Explore Settings Folder link, where does this take you (where is BCState.xml)?
                    Please see screenshot and zip.file:
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlicks; 06-Apr-2018, 02:42 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Does this BCState.xml corruption issue repeat? Your settings files are local on the C:\, and shouldn't be corrupted just by use, and is unrelated to comparing locations (that also happen to be reporting a corruption).
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
                        Journeyman
                        • Sep 2017

Does this BCState.xml corruption issue repeat? Your settings files are local on the C:\, and shouldn't be corrupted just by use, and is unrelated to comparing locations (that also happen to be reporting a corruption).
                        Thanks Aaron,

Yes, the issue has repeated for 3 days now.

btw - Amazon have offered me a replacement SD-card if I return the one in question. I am tempted to do so. Otherwise, I suppose I could try to FORMAT the SD and see if that makes any difference?

Paul

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Yes, a format could be a good first try, although the corruption of the BCState.xml is unlikely to be related to the transfer task. Are you performing an End Task or otherwise interrupting BC4?

Does it repeat every time you boot BC4, after performing the task? If so, could we get a copy of the BCState.xml before you relaunch BC4 (in the corrupt state)?
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• monsterjazzlicks
                            Journeyman
                            • Sep 2017

Yes, a format could be a good first try, although the corruption of the BCState.xml is unlikely to be related to the transfer task. Are you performing an End Task or otherwise interrupting BC4?

Does it repeat every time you boot BC4, after performing the task? If so, could we get a copy of the BCState.xml before you relaunch BC4 (in the corrupt state)?
                            Hi,

I will try a reformat over the weekend and see if that helps. Actually, I wish I have just done that today instead of faffing around for ages deleting/copying 130GB of FLACs!

I doubt very much that the issue is with BC4 because it's an exceptionally stable s/w (as is PerfectTunes). But I my try a re installation of the former. If the issues still persist then we can look deeper ...

But as I say, I might just get an exchange from Amazon on the damn SD.

Cheers.

Comment

• Qboy61
                              Journeyman
                              • Sep 2010

Paul,

Noticed your thread while searching for FLAC additions in Beyond Compare. After reading about your issues I have to tell you that I've been "tortured" by computers with bad memory communication (due to motherboard issues), actual bad memory cells, and bad hard drive hardware. They all did similar things things like damage files or report strange errors. The first machine with a bad motherboard was a Windows XP (yes many years ago) and I would copy large quantities of pictures or music and I began noticing file damage. BC v2 was what I found to binary compare the copied files and it began to indicate bit errors in some of the copies. The machine would also sporadically report a strange error like "Windows Media Player can't open that MP3" and maybe after trying a different app and returning to the MP3 file, Windows Media Player played it just fine. Even scarier is that Windows would defragment my hard drives regularly, and as it moved files during the defragmentation it was damaging them! In this old Windows XP machine, I used it for months until I started noticing damaged pictures and songs (a lot of files were damaged). My friends shrugged off the XP machine and said "ahh that's just junkie Windows." Memtest 86 caught the failure on this machine by showing memory errors (in this case the errors were random in the memory and it turned out to be a motherboard issue). In 2011 I purchased a Mac Mini and expanded the memory from 4G to 16G myself. Again I used the machine for about 4 months and started noticing flashes (block errors) in MP4 video files copied to the hard drive that weren't in the SD card copy from the camera. The machine worked quite nicely in general except for random "beachballs-of-death" (Mac's version of BSOD or just a pause in operating system). Again a quick test with Memtest 86 showed errors in only one of the two memory sticks. The Mac failures were so subtle that I used it for months until "the light bulb lit up" on top of my head.

I would download Memtest 86 and check for errors. Also, see if you can get a diagnostic application from the manufacturer of your hard drive to see if it passes all the tests (back up your data!). Foobar2000 has a nice add-on component called File Integrity Verifier for music files that will check your FLACs and other music file formats for errors in decoding.

Hope you can find your issue.

Rick
                              Last edited by Qboy61; 01-May-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...