Can we get single comparison report for include-file-links option in Folder compare

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dinesh1393
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2018

Can we get single comparison report for include-file-links option in Folder compare

Hi Aaron,

I am using below code to compare two folders along with include-file-links.
    But its giving file links in both sides. when am opening those files and seeing the comparison, its making slight confusion.
    So what I want is, Are there any possible ways to get a single comparison report like file-report by opening a link.
    Or can you suggest, is there any options to get file report along with folder-report?

log %4
    criteria Binary
    load "%1" "%2"
    expand all
    select all.files
    folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches-no-orphans,include-file-links output-to:"%3" output-options:html-color

Thanks in Advance,
    Dinesh
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The linked reports are individual, but you could generate a text-report on the selection instead.

So first, generate your folder-report (without include-file-links). I'd probably switch to a rules-based scan as well, since files could be binary different but then show no text differences in the report. The report would use the rules-based results.

Update to something like:
    log %4
    criteria rules-based
    load "%1" "%2"
    expand all
    folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches-no-orphans,include-file-links output-to:"%3" output-options:html-color
    select all.diff.files
    text-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches output-to:"%5" output-options:html-color
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dinesh1393
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2018

Thanks for the response Aaron,

I tried the above script changing text-compare to file-compare as text-compare doesn't meet my expectation.

But still, I need to have some modifications in the File report as its size is very high.(The File report includes all the different files mismatch data)

So, I want to have individual reports for each different files using file-report comparison. Is this possible?

The below is the script I tried.

log %4
      criteria binary
      load "%1" "%2"
      expand all
      folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches-no-orphans output-to:"%3" output-options:html-color
      select all.diff.files
      file-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches output-to:"%5" output-options:html-color

Thanks,
      Dinesh

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand the request. If you need individual reports for each file, then you would use the include-file-links option, which generates links in the main folder compare and individual reports for each file. If you want a single report file that contains all of the file content, then you would use a combination of the select command to select the files, then the file-report command to generate the specific file report for all the selected content.

This is similar to using the main graphical interface an either using the Session menu -> Folder Compare Report dialog, or selecting files (Edit menu -> Expand All, Edit menu -> Select All Files) and the Actions menu -> File Compare Report dialog.

You could use file filtering or the select command with specific selection options to limit the selection, and then generate a file-report. If you are clicking and selecting/generating reports in the graphical interface, what steps are you taking? We can then help determine the matching script to generate the same style report.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dinesh1393
          Enthusiast
          • Jan 2018

Hi Aaron,

Currently, am using Beyond compare 3 that is why am unable to use include-file-links.

I just want to have individual output reports for each file from select all.diff.files. Currently, its creating single report with all the file data and that size is very huge actually.

can you please suggest a way to have individual output reports.

Thanks
          Dinesh

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Ah, sorry, I forgot we were working with BC3. The only method BC3 has available is to pass in individual file pairs by name, such as:

bcompare.exe "@c:\bcscript.txt" "c:\file1.txt" "c:\file2.txt" "c:\bcreport\report.html"
            file-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches output-to:"%3" output-options:html-color "%1" "%2"

Or to use the filters and selection command to a single file pair (not a common method).

Given your request, I'd recommend giving the BC4 trial a spin and see if include-file-links meets your needs. It may be exactly what you are looking for. You can install the BC4 trial without removing/altering BC3 on Windows.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dinesh1393
              Enthusiast
              • Jan 2018

Thanks for the information Aaron,

Also, am facing an issue with file-report script. Am using the below script to compare two files.
              If there is any space in the input file path then its throwing error for unable to load the files.
              am having the input file paths as below.
              D:\Dinesh\implan - proj.csv
              D:\kumar\implan - proj.csv

log "%4"
              file-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches output-to:"%3" output-options:html-color "%1" "%2"

how to overcome this issue?

Thanks,
              Dinesh

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

What is your command line call to bcompare? You'll need quotes around the file names here, too:
                bcompare.exe "@c:\scripts here\bcscript.txt" "D:\Dinesh\implan - proj.csv" "D:\kumar\implan - proj.csv"

as well as the quotes you have in your script.txt.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• anushaumrey29
                  Visitor
                  • Sep 2020

I too have a requirement, where,
                  1. I have to comapre 2 folders and list the files names with differences.
                  2. Now, each of the above file name should have a link(include-file-link), but each link SHOULD ONLY SHOW THE DIFFERENCES AND NOT WHOLE CONTENT OF FILE.

How can we achieve this? Using below code.

log "%4"
                  criteria Binary
                  load "%1" "%2"
                  expand all
                  select all.diff.files

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You have to use the graphical interface once first, to set the option, which is sticky. Script will then use the option as set.

Open the interface as the same user that is running the script (each User has their own settings). Launch a new Text Compare, and set the Display Filter to Show Differences. The close the window, and then re-run your script.

Does this get your report working as you expect?
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...