Blank bcompare when running on Ubuntu 16.04 as root (gksudo)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJMG
    New User
    • Sep 2013

Blank bcompare when running on Ubuntu 16.04 as root (gksudo)

I'm running on Ubuntu 16.04 with xfce. If I attempt to run Beyond Compare with the gksudo command to be able to compare directories as root, it just comes up as a blank window with the titlebar set to "Beyond Compare (Root Session)". Beyond Compare runs fine if I don't try to use gksudo.

There was an earlier post from 2015 with pretty much identical symptoms that had something to do with a particular version of Fedora, but the solution there appears to be gksudo-specific.
  • Dave_L
    Veteran
    • Dec 2007

I'm using BC 4.2.4 (64-bit Edition / Pro Edition for Windows/Linux/OS X) on Xubuntu 16.04.4. If I run "gksudo bcompare" from a terminal window, BC seems to run normally.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

To clarify the difference between yours and Dave's environment, how did you install XFCE (part of xubuntu or over a default unity install) and is it running with all applied updates?
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• aqueenan
        Visitor
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by JJMG
        I'm running on Ubuntu 16.04 with xfce. If I attempt to run Beyond Compare with the gksudo command to be able to compare directories as root, it just comes up as a blank window with the titlebar set to "Beyond Compare (Root Session)". Beyond Compare runs fine if I don't try to use gksudo.

There was an earlier post from 2015 with pretty much identical symptoms that had something to do with a particular version of Fedora, but the solution there appears to be gksudo-specific.
        I'm having the same problem with Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. gksudo isn't available.

Running
        Code:
        sudo QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native bcompare
        is a workaround.

Comment

Working...