X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrispinH
    Journeyman
    • Jun 2005

Copying orphaned empty folders in folder sync

When doing C# development work I like to be able to synchronise orphaned empty folders within my Visual Studio solutions, and also I have a specific (hopefully temporary) need to do this in the .git folders too. Is there a way of doing copying orphaned empty folders in BC4 without having to select each folder individually and copying it?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes, by default Empty folders are not included, but this option can be changed. In the Folder Sync session type, go to the Session menu -> Session Settings -> Handling tab. Enable to "Sync empty folders" and they will be included in the sync operation.

This can be applied for "use for this view only" or "also update session defaults" with the dropdown at the bottom of the dialog, depending on if you have one session needed, or want to use this setting for any future Folder Sync sessions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• CrispinH
      Journeyman
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Aaron
      Session menu -> Session Settings -> Handling tab. Enable to "Sync empty folders" and they will be included in the sync operation.
      I don't seem to have that option showing on the dialog - I've attached a screenshot.

I have Version 4.2.4 (build 22795) 64-bit running on Windows 10.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Session Settings dialog is context specific. We have two folder views: Folder Compare and Folder Sync (a subset of the compare that centers on syncing). It looks like you are in the Folder Compare session type. (Update: the option I mention are for the Folder Sync, but not Compare type).

For this, empty folders should be included in the sync as long as they are part of the comparison. If you use the View menu -> Compare files and folder structure should show orphan empty folders. Are these not visible in the main view (before clicking to Sync)? Or when you sync are you syncing Just Selection or everything? If Just selection, were they part of the selection?
        Last edited by Aaron; 16-Mar-2018, 02:25 PM. Reason: Update: more details
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• CrispinH
          Journeyman
          • Jun 2005

Hello Aaron

I've had a go with Folder Sync and made it work in the manner I wanted, so thanks for that. In this instance I would prefer to have the Empty Folders option on Folder Compare but I can live with flipping between the two as appropriate.

Crispin

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

If the folders are visible (View menu -> Always Show Folders or Compare Folders and Files), they should also be included in the sync in the Folder Compare.

If you are still having trouble, you can post or email screenshots of the current comparison view and the sync preview dialog, and we can try to determine what setting might be excluding them from the sync. If you email at [email protected], please also include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...