X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kidsmurf2000
    Visitor
    • Mar 2018

Auto-resolve everythng except conflicts

I'm using BC with P4V and have it configured for 3 way merge to resolve merge conflicts.

Is there a way to get BC to auto-resolve all changes except the actual conflicts? It seems like I have to step through each change and accept if it, even if its not an actual conflict.

Cheers!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can set the View menu to Favor Left or Right changes, but this just hides the coloring of if the left or right was automatically taken. The output should be preformed, just without Conflict (red) changes, which do have to be picked manually.

Is everything a conflict (red) or left/right (teal/purple)? Is BC4 configured as the mergetool with Ancestor as the Center column (for the merge logic to work correctly)?
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...b_vcs#perforce
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kidsmurf2000
      Visitor
      • Mar 2018

Everything is left/right (teal/purple). I have BC4 configured with

%1 %2 %b %r

So the automatic resolve should be performed automatically anyway?

Cheers

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

If the Output window is already Teal/Purple, then those sections should be from either the Left or Right file already, correct? The output pane is already formed, correct? Are there any lines considered conflicts or the output not formed the way you need?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kidsmurf2000
          Visitor
          • Mar 2018

Hi,

The output pane is formed, but non-conflicts are still identified as conflicts.

For example, if Base and Theirs on line 2 have "original", and on line 2 my Source has "changed", BC4 correctly picks "changed" for the output window, but hitting Next Conflict will take me to line 2, even though there is not a conflict and the changed has been correctly merged.

Also, when I resolve a Conflict, I'm still taken back to that line by the Next and Prev Conflict buttons... I'd like to be able to remove them from the list of conflicts I have to resolve, prehaps by hitting a button?

In short, if there's a 100 changes in a file, and one conflict, I'd like to just see that one conflict, not all the auto-resolved merged lines.

Hope that makes a bit more sense!

What I'd like is for Next Conflict to take me to the next "Conflict", and not just the next merge.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

A key factor in identifying Conflicts is to manually Clear Conflict with the red ! button next to the gutter area. After taking a side or editing, you'll need to click this for BC4 to accept it is no longer a conflict.

Under the Session menu -> Session Settings dialog -> Alignment tab, you can also control what "A merge conflict is", and include nearby conflicts together in a Section (similar to how the Text Compare can group nearby differences) or limit the conflict to only the specific conflict area with no gaps.

Does the combination of setting this option and using the Clear Conflict command get you what you need?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

I should add, the Display Filter toolbar can be set to either Show Differences or Show Conflicts.

If you are still having any trouble, would it be possible to get a full screen screenshot of your merge, which you can email to [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kidsmurf2000
                Visitor
                • Mar 2018

That works great, thank you very much!

Comment

• bay_baobab
                  New User
                  • Apr 2018

kidsmurf2000 What worked for you? It still looks like I have to click each "conflict" separately although only left or right is changed.

Aaron Is there a way to define "merge conflict is when both sides change"?

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

A full screen screenshot would help clarify the behavior you are seeing. If there is only a change on the Left, and the Ancestor and Right match exactly, that shouldn't be marked as a conflict. Please note that BC4 expects the top Center pane as the Ancestor pane, and the VCS must be configured to place the Ancestor here for the logic to correctly detect.

A merge conflict is when both sides change differently. If both sides have changed the exact same way (and only the Ancestor is different), it is not considered a conflict, and one of the sides is chosen for the output. The Text Merge session settings does have a setting to increase a number of lines section, where the merge can be a large section of left and right changes close enough to each other.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...