X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misi01
    Old Hand
    • Jun 2005

BC3 and z/OS librarian

I appreciate that I'm potentially asking for a lot here, but here goes anyway.

Where I'm working at the moment, they are using a product called Panvalet Librarian. Basically, this means that all source code is kept "hidden" in an internal library system on the mainframe and you have to use a front-end on the mainframe in order to see the actual code. ("Normally", source code might be kept in what's known as a PDS - think of it as being a directory containing a number of source files).

My question ... have you guys any experience of people using BC from the PC and kick starting a job on the mainframe that "unloads" the source code from librarian into a "normal" PDS/sequential file that BC can then access via FTP? Theoretically, the job could download the file to the PC, but I can see a hassle with that inasmuch as as soon as you make any changes between similar source files on the PC, you then have the hassle of uploading the changed code again.

Like I started, probably asking a bit much of the product or its usage, but there's no harm in asking. Thanks
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is there a command line that either does this per file or on the whole folder? The Open With command could execute on a selection and perform a command line action (such as generate the Temp/unpacked versions). Or if the FTP can serve an individual file and go through a command line unpacker on that file, you could use a command line external conversion, similar to the example here (https://www.scootersoftware.com/supp...rnalconversion). This style of conversion also supports executing on Save, if you also have the command line to save back from unpacked to packed.

Lastly, if this file type could be thought of as an archive, and supports a Total Commander plug-in, BC4 could theoretically also use this plugin, under Tools -> Options dialog, Archive Types tab, Add Plugin. Given the documentation for Panvalet Librarian, I think it expects command lines (above method), but I'm not familiar with the file type.

Please note that BC4 would not support an Undo for any actions taken within the program, or by one of the (automatically) executed conversions or Open With. Please test with test files while working on this functionality.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• misi01
      Old Hand
      • Jun 2005

Thank you Aaron. Just thought I'd float the idea. We're far from being there yet (POC) but what I'm reading is that it's theoretically possible.
      Thanks for the speedy reply.

Comment

Working...